Is Java Moss A Death Trap? Not Java Fern, Sorry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ralphw62

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Java-Moss-03.jpg

Sorry for a sort of double post I said fern before..meant moss

well I found my clown loach stuck in a clump of java Moss!
upset
I guess there must be a way to plant or display this stuff safely?

I found a liking to the plant and a supplier that has great prices on it..
the place where I found the poor fish was a cave that had the java fern had gone trough,,, keep all caves clear of plants?
just upset looking for java moss and clown loach advice......
thanks

I rarely see fish get stuck in plants unless there abit silly. Keep your java moss trimmed down and don't let it get really bushy.

Never heard of this happening myself, and sorry for your loss. A bit of future advice, clown loaches, as well as other loaches, really should be kept in a group of 4 at least, preferably 6. Really love the tank in your sig! I've been looking for well priced moss for a while, do you buy online???

yeah the fish was pretty healthy and active... my levels have evened out Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates,
He must have just been looking for a hidey spot and ran into this stuff, Very upset..

right now I just have it in 1 large clump or ball with a rubber band around it waiting for my to decide its fate.
It was late when this happened and I have the rock wall sitting on the floor and the tank is in need of re-scapeing

greenmumma141 said:
Never heard of this happening myself, and sorry for your loss. A bit of future advice, clown loaches, as well as other loaches, really should be kept in a group of 4 at least, preferably 6. Really love the tank in your sig! I've been looking for well priced moss for a while, do you buy online???

no..... I found a store who sells me a big ball of it (base ball) for just 5 bucks.

the fish was really entangled I had trouble just getting it out

My Pic?...That's the same setup where it happened... about 1/3 over from the left... in the rock wall

Ralphw62 said:
yeah the fish was pretty healthy and active... my levels have evened out Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates,
He must have just been looking for a hidey spot and ran into this stuff, Very upset..

right now I just have it in 1 large clump or ball with a rubber band around it waiting for my to decide its fate.
It was late when this happened and I have the rock wall sitting on the floor and the tank is in need of re-scapeing

no..... I found a store who sells me a big ball of it (base ball) for just 5 bucks.

the fish was really entangled I had trouble just getting it out

My Pic?...That's the same setup where it happened... about 1/3 over from the left... in the rock wall

5 bucks is a good deal. I just got the biggest java fern Ive ever seen in my life (leaves are probably 10 inches long) for 5 bucks at my lfs. ;)

Thats so sad, really sorry to hear about your loach, maybe like Techen said, and just keep inside the caves trimmed back.

very cool rock wall, and i really like the larger pebbles too. :good:

For me it has been the opposite. My fry have always used it as shelter. I have never had a problem with it so I would have to say no...it's not a death trap.
Sorry to hear about your problems.

I did a little research and I found its a common thing to happen.
Its very "grabby" and will clinch to almost anything

well my tank will look different and will update my pic when I'm done :)

Never had an issue. I'd have to see it in person to understand how it happens.

Its a lot like you see on TV when a fish gets caught up in an abandoned drag net or monofilament line;

should of took a pic....

We always think about photos when it's too late.
smile.png

yeah its very clingy stringy......I just put most of mine down as ground cover

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back