Is it worth selling/breeding these guppies?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

EmmaTheCabbage

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello. So I found these guppies in a bathtub a mile or so in the woods. Got them in a 10gal atm but got a 40gal I could move them to. Or if I decide not to do that I can just feed the excess babies to my other fish. I noticed I havenā€™t really seen guppies like this around. They are super shiny (almost metallic looking) and they got some nice patterns. Was wondering if it may be worth breeding them and selling to my local fish shop or pet store. How much do these guys look like theyd sell to a customer and if I did breed them, how much would I sell them to a store? I currently live in Hawaii too so I donā€™t know what the competition is like here or how much these type would go for. However I normally see the fancy guppies go for about $3 each in petsmart. I attatched some photos.

Attachments

• 85941EE6-C075-4322-BE11-A8AD533DA55D.png
    85941EE6-C075-4322-BE11-A8AD533DA55D.png
    576.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 1BD07572-2B76-4971-8795-85C09FCB5CBF.png
    1BD07572-2B76-4971-8795-85C09FCB5CBF.png
    551.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 54B35637-F171-403C-A166-6699C6970806.png
    54B35637-F171-403C-A166-6699C6970806.png
    534.8 KB · Views: 164
  • F2438C8C-3836-4057-8F7C-3C51CD470947.png
    F2438C8C-3836-4057-8F7C-3C51CD470947.png
    590.8 KB · Views: 140
  • A5F69EFC-702D-4420-96D3-2F5A15AF1BB4.png
    A5F69EFC-702D-4420-96D3-2F5A15AF1BB4.png
    553.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 089602CF-10A2-456F-90C8-59F1EC7DDCEE.png
    089602CF-10A2-456F-90C8-59F1EC7DDCEE.png
    553.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 84648BE1-E756-4A80-B1BC-99D6BD81CF4E.png
    84648BE1-E756-4A80-B1BC-99D6BD81CF4E.png
    581.4 KB · Views: 155
Hello. So I found these guppies in a bathtub a mile or so in the woods. Got them in a 10gal atm but got a 40gal I could move them to. Or if I decide not to do that I can just feed the excess babies to my other fish. I noticed I havenā€™t really seen guppies like this around. They are super shiny (almost metallic looking) and they got some nice patterns. Was wondering if it may be worth breeding them and selling to my local fish shop or pet store. How much do these guys look like theyd sell to a customer and if I did breed them, how much would I sell them to a store? I currently live in Hawaii too so I donā€™t know what the competition is like here or how much these type would go for. However I normally see the fancy guppies go for about $3 each in petsmart. I attatched some photos.
lol well, you won't be breeding them, they'll be doing that all on their own either way

All fish are worth breeding but whether you make much money is another thing. The fish in the pictures are swordtail guppies (single filament coming off the bottom of the tail) and lyretail guppies (filament coming off top and bottom of the tail). These are not common in shops and your fish have nice colour, so yes, I would breed them.

They should sell for the same or similar price to the ones in the shop. Make sure they are good quality (no missing eyes or deformities) and are the same size as the ones in the shop.

I just read your post closer......a bathtub?
Huh, that's something.

All fish are worth breeding but whether you make much money is another thing. The fish in the pictures are swordtail guppies (single filament coming off the bottom of the tail) and lyretail guppies (filament coming off top and bottom of the tail). These are not common in shops and your fish have nice colour, so yes, I would breed them.

They should sell for the same or similar price to the ones in the shop. Make sure they are good quality (no missing eyes or deformities) and are the same size as the ones in the shop.
Thanks for telling me what type and the other info :), is it common for guppies to have deformities? Never seen one with them. I guess with how theyā€™re usually selectively bred and they have so many, thereā€™s bound to be some with problems.

I have a male lyretail guppy. There used to be 4 of hem but they passed. He's doing well in his tank with some other guppy's and pygmy corys

These look like wild type guppies. They come as shorttail, lyretail and sword shaped tails.
I love them...!

LOL, I don't sell my guppy young, I give them to the fish store for free! He sometimes knocks some cash off the total of things I buy or gives me a good deal, but it's out of kindness rather than a need for my guppies. Guppies and Endlers are cheap and mass produced, don't cost a lot, so stores aren't going to pay a lot for guppy/Endler young I'm afraid, unless it's a special fancy variety that they can sell for a higher price point.

My guppies are plain old farm bred store mutt guppies, not a fancy variety, so I need my LFS to take the hundreds of young they produce far more than he needs them as stock, since he can buy farm raised guppies for cheap in mass quantities at any wholesaler. It costs way more to raise them to 2-3 months old than I make back in store credit. Breeding them has just been for fun. I need him to take them since they breed so easily and in huge numbers, I'd run out of space quickly, and selling them privately is a pain, organising to sell 2-3 fry per person for a Ā£1 or so each. Not worth the hassle really for me to do it privately. While if the LFS stopped taking my guppy offspring, his business wouldn't suffer in the slightest!

Yours are very pretty, and I can't believe they were in a bathtub in the woods! What a horrible person to dump them there :( Happy that you found them and are giving them a good home! I do really love the colours and tail shapes, I don't think they're rare, but they are beautiful.

Aquarium Co Op has great series about breeding fish for profit, how to breed and the common problems, and supply and demand issues from the retailers point of view. It's very interesting even if you don't plan to breed fish to sell!

wait~ how did you find them in a bathtub in the woods? they look cool, i would probabaly sell them

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back