Is It Too Much

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rhi

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everybody. I am new here and just wanted to know if this is too much in my tank.

I have a 30 gallon tank. It is somewhat heavily planted. No filters at all.

I have 3 platies, 2 balloon mollies, 1 molly, 3 painted tetra, 2 african dwarf frog, and about 20 ghost shrimp.

So I am asking is this okay or is it overstock.

As you have no filters, you therefore have nowhere for the beneficial bacteria to grow. This bacteria is needed to break down the harmful substances that are toxic to fish such as ammonia and nitrites. The beneficial bacteria breaks these down and creates nitrates which are only toxic in very high numbers. A filter is where the good bacteria is stored, as in on the media inside the filter. Filters also keeps the water clear for longer and takes out any other substances that shouldn't be in the tank. They also great oxygen for your fish and is also good for plants. They are in short, an essential piece of equipment when it comes to fish keeping.

Please have a read of the "fishless" and "fish-in" cycling threads in the beginners section. Everything is explained a lot clearer there :)

As for the stock, tetras should be in groups of 6+ but apart from that I have no experience with the other fish you have. All I will say is you will need to be doing 80-90% daily water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels down since your tank won't be cycled. Also invest in a liquid water test kit. This will allow you to see how much ammonia nitrite and nitrate is in your tank and tap water. You can then act on it accordingly.

Good luck :good:

As the tank is heavily planted, you may be okay as far as ammonia. Plants get nourishment from it. I do recommend, as this appears to possibly be a silent cycle, that you invest in a test kit to make sure the plants are getting rid of the fish waste. If there is ammonia present in the water, then you really need to do a water change and rethink the idea of not having a filter.

What do you do for circulation?

As you have no filters, you therefore have nowhere for the beneficial bacteria to grow. This bacteria is needed to break down the harmful substances that are toxic to fish such as ammonia and nitrites. The beneficial bacteria breaks these down and creates nitrates which are only toxic in very high numbers. A filter is where the good bacteria is stored, as in on the media inside the filter. Filters also keeps the water clear for longer and takes out any other substances that shouldn't be in the tank. They also great oxygen for your fish and is also good for plants. They are in short, an essential piece of equipment when it comes to fish keeping.

Please have a read of the "fishless" and "fish-in" cycling threads in the beginners section. Everything is explained a lot clearer there :)

As for the stock, tetras should be in groups of 6+ but apart from that I have no experience with the other fish you have. All I will say is you will need to be doing 80-90% daily water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels down since your tank won't be cycled. Also invest in a liquid water test kit. This will allow you to see how much ammonia nitrite and nitrate is in your tank and tap water. You can then act on it accordingly.

Good luck :good:

I have a marineland 350 but it doesnt have a impeller so I am hoping to get one soon for it.

I will be sure to read the article for more information. Thank you.

The tetra on the other hand seems to be doing fine as they are about 3 inch. They dont seems to have a problem as the swim freely and everything.

As the tank is heavily planted, you may be okay as far as ammonia. Plants get nourishment from it. I do recommend, as this appears to possibly be a silent cycle, that you invest in a test kit to make sure the plants are getting rid of the fish waste. If there is ammonia present in the water, then you really need to do a water change and rethink the idea of not having a filter.

What do you do for circulation?

My plants seems to grow at a very fast past (I do not have any co2), but im not sure if that is the cause of it.

I have no circulation whatsoever.

I just do like a 75% water change every week. Should I increase it?

You might be fine, but the only way to be sure is to get a test kit to monitor ammonia levels. I personally recommend API master test kit, as its relatively cheap compared to other drop kits, and much more accurate than the strips.Without knowing your waters parameters, I cant really recommend how much of a water change you should be doing, but I do think that its great you are performing them weekly.

I agree with the other members. It is a simple thing to get a decent liquid-reagent based test kit and take the mystery out of knowing what environment you are presenting for the fish. It might be fine, it might not.

WD

I have done silent cycling and find my plants grow at an amazing rate during the first 2-3 weeks when the ammonia spikes are occuring, the plant growth slows later.

I agree with all the advise given already.

Thanks for the info you guys! I will try to get a test kit asap and see whats up!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back