Is it too late..?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fishfaced

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Day 46
Fishless cycle using food as ammonia source.

I'm at the point were I need to keep feeding my nitrites a source of ammonia but using fish food is a guessing game and also slow.

Is it too late to start using a liquid form of ammonia?
Will this potentially ruin things and force me to start over?
What is my best course of action?

No, it's not too late, provided you use the right ammonia, and dose accordingly.

I hear Dr. Tim’s is some good stuff, but I don’t know if they carry that in the UK.

it used to be easy find ammonia in the UK but nowadays it's not. Ebay and Amazon do sell ammonia but the descriptions don't mention whether they also contain surfactants, perfume etc. I know that Jeyes Kleenoff Household Ammonia does not contain anything except water and ammonia so if you can find some of that (mine came from my local independent DIY shop). Failing that, Dr Tim's ammonium chloride (Amazon, Ebay) as in Tank Sinatra's link is good to use, but add less than they say then test after half an hour (to let it mix in thoroughly) and add more if necessary.

@PheonixKingZ Dr Tim's ammonium chloride is available in the UK - on Amazon & Ebay.

Edit this product has a question about additives
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000TAOZIY/?tag=
and one reply says it has none - the person who replied says they used it for fishless cycling.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Day 46
Fishless cycle using food as ammonia source.

I'm at the point were I need to keep feeding my nitrites a source of ammonia but using fish food is a guessing game and also slow.

Is it too late to start using a liquid form of ammonia?
Will this potentially ruin things and force me to start over?
What is my best course of action?

Buy some ammonia and be done with the cycling thing. I used ammonia and bacteria in a bottle, took me ~10 days to cycle the tank.

it used to be easy find ammonia in the UK but nowadays it's not. Ebay and Amazon do sell ammonia but the descriptions don't mention whether they also contain surfactants, perfume etc. I know that Jeyes Kleenoff Household Ammonia does not contain anything except water and ammonia so if you can find some of that (mine came from my local independent DIY shop). Failing that, Dr Tim's ammonium chloride (Amazon, Ebay) as in Tank Sinatra's link is good to use, but add less than they say then test after half an hour (to let it mix in thoroughly) and add more if necessary.

@PheonixKingZ Dr Tim's ammonium chloride is available in the UK - on Amazon & Ebay.

Edit this product has a question about additives
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000TAOZIY/?tag=
and one reply says it has none - the person who replied says they used it for fishless cycling.
Thanks for your help

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back