is it safe to feed fish food to cats?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

camshaft

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
my cat loves flake, and also sinking tablets. she has a fit whenever i feed the fish and she begs for them!!! i let her try each before and she ate it up. any thoughts?

Safe yes as a tiny little treat every now and again - as in a small pinch or one algae wafer. But take care, it might make them feel :sick:

Obviously not suitable as a staple diet ;)

All cats and dogs love fish food.

It's fine if you don't mind a cat with a good healthy slimecoat. I fed my dog algae wafers, he just lays on the floor all day now. He doesn't seem to move until it's dark out.

Tolak

Hehe, tolak. :rofl:

My dog gets into my fish food all the time. Greedy little bugger. All it is is fish, really. No harm done.

I used to have a cat that would 'fish' the flake out of the pond before it sunk to eat. The only thing I would like to mention is that remember if another animal eats fish food in any quantity by mistake then dehydration is a large possiblity so becareful the amount they have access to.

I have a cat who loves algae wafers. He freaks out if he doesn't get one right along with the fish. :)

Just remember....fish food is made for FISH. :/ Maybe once in ahwile won't hurt, but don't make a habit of it!! Bascially, just like dogs LOVE cat food, but they aren't supposed to eat it because of the different nutritional needs(and something else I can't remember). It's just like I don't feed my kids candy everyday, even when they ask or beg. They don't need it...it's junk, but it's a special treat once in awhile. :D If you're really concerned, call your vet and ask them.

:fish: :fish: :fish:

can i feed my cat to my fish ? :dunno:

Sorry i mean my catfood to my fish?? :angel:

No dont answer i just could not resist

my cat loves king british flake and pellets, also goes mad over the algae wafers :lol:

Only time I let my cats (and my dog) eat the fish food is if they get at it themselves and devour it without my noticing. The flake food I didn't mind so much, since I prefer pellets and real food and the flakes came with a little tank I got for a Betta. It drives me nuts, though, when I'm feeding pellets and wafers and Buffy (one of the cats) hops into the tank's cupboard and starts ripping away at the pellet packets. Thanks for helping to make the food readily available, Buffy dear, but I like the fact that they can be sealed for quality freshness. With gigantic holes in the bags, the ziplocks don't really serve a purpose anymore. Eh, but if she's gotten at a bag, I just put the pellets or wafers or whatever into a little container, and then she can't get to it at all. Not that she stops trying. And if she knocks a container to the floor, it becomes available to my dog, and he's a master at breaking open containers and pop bottles and anything like that. I allow him to destroy those kinds of things, since it works his mental stimulation, but it's a bit of a bummer to be looking for a container of food and finally find the crushed, dog-chewed plastic buried in his crate, food and lid nowhere to be seen.

Actually, I would think cat food (if it were fish-based) would be healthier for a fish than fishfood is for a cat. That is, if you're using premium-quality cat food, like California Natural or Innova (not Whiskas or Purina, ugh). The best fish food I've found has more fillers than the worst cat food I allow into my house. It's got me wondering, now, though. What would the fish do if I were to crack out a kibble and crush it, and sink it in a tank? I don't feed kibbles anymore, though, so I gotta keep wondering unless someone else online tries it, lol

I think (and hope!) it goes without saying that no animal should ever be fed, as a major or even medium part of their daily diet, anything that's not specially designed for their species.

ive fed an algae wafer to my lovebirds, they loved it lol think it was just because it was green though
scot

ive fed an algae wafer to my lovebirds, they loved it lol think it was just because it was green though
scot

I fed my little brother fish food, which he seemed to take a liking too. It is good because I havent had him feeding on anything else, all he has had for 2 weeks is the water bowl I put in his cage. Little brothers are hard work some times :rolleyes: .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back