Is It Safe To Add A Discus To One Of My Tanks?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kiwi210

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've been owning cichlids for over 2 years and I think I'm finally experienced enough to own a Discus. I have a 55 gallon tank with 2 smaller Blood parrots. One of them is a little aggressive but the other one is pretty calm. My other tank is a 40 gallon with a Jewel, Johanni, Yellow Lab, and Kenyi. They're all pretty calm toward each other. I haven't added fish to either of my tanks in a while but I would really like to own a Discus. Is it okay to add one to either of these tanks? 

Well I have never owned them since I haven't been able to get my hands on any but from my research I'd say it's probably not a great idea as they do best in a species only tank and they also should be kept in a group of at least 5 I'm not saying you can't do it because I've seen people that have but I'd do a lot of research and then decide because discus are like $25-$50 and you wouldn't want to lose that kinda fish.
Also they would have to go in with the bloods if you do decide to get them because the Africans will kill them.

I wouldn't add one to either tank.  They do best in a species only tank due to their need for pristine water and they are slow eaters.  Like RR said, the Africans would kill him fast. 

I figured the Africans would kill them and I thought they would do fine with the Blood Parrots but I'll stick too setting up a species only tank if I decide to get them. Thanks! 

Discus also fare better in small group not singly or in company of more boisterous cichlids. I have seen a parrot-discus only tank that is 350 US gallons though and judging from their fins and behavior they looked okay together.

Yeah, like everyone else has said, no single discus.  Groups of 6+ or a confirmed breeding pair only.  Besides the fact that Africans would kill them, the water parameters are like the exact opposite as well.  I think 2 blood parrots in a 55G would make you fully stocked already anyways.  If you really want discus, you will have to get another tank, and depending on your local water, figure out whether you would have to use RO as well, which throws in another topic.  

Electric Warrior said:
Yeah, like everyone else has said, no single discus.  Groups of 6+ or a confirmed breeding pair only.  Besides the fact that Africans would kill them, the water parameters are like the exact opposite as well.  I think 2 blood parrots in a 55G would make you fully stocked already anyways.  If you really want discus, you will have to get another tank, and depending on your local water, figure out whether you would have to use RO as well, which throws in another topic.
What do you mean by RO and what is the minimum tank size for 6 Discuses? 

R/O = reverse osmosis water and min tank size for 6 adult discus I would say is about 65G or so, but keep in mind the footprint...  Height and length are most important in the shape of the tank.

No the fish you have in both tanks are not good tank mates for a discus and will cause then lots of stress and they will suffer and die under too much stress.

Discus are too expensive to experiment with. If you want discus make a tank dedicated to discus and only keep peacful smaller fish with them.

I have had my discus for 4 years now and I am down to my first one. All the other ones I got to be his tank mate died some died after a year others lasted 3 years. I had 7 in an 80gal they pick on each other and the weak ones gets sickly well that happen to me. First and last remaining discus is living in a planted 80gal with tetras and corycats. He is happy and fine alone. After years of keeping discus I will say there is nothing wrong with keep one alone. Now wilds that's a different story.

I wouldn't keep Discus with much, aside from possibly Angels (in a big enough tank, de-wormed and from a reputable source) Blue rams, certain species of Tetra, Corys, and Apistogramma, and then perhaps certain species of Pleco.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back