Is it safe and acceptable to use hydrogen peroxide on BGA?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I REALLY would love to kill all the bga but not kill my fish... Cause me being an aquarist I love my fish and I prefer them alive... (Unless I want some seafood like salmon or something but thats beside the point). So would using a SMALL and SPECIFIC amount of hydrogen peroxide be safe to use in an aquarium against BGA?

I've never used peroxide on bga, but it works on black brush algae. Safety-wise it's fine in small amounts. If in doubt do a water change a few minutes after treatment.

I've never used peroxide on bga, but it works on black brush algae. Safety-wise it's fine in small amounts. If in doubt do a water change a few minutes after treatment.
Maybe I should add some later today because tomorrow is my water change day. If I notice anything weird with the fish I would be doing a WC anyways... Also maybe it'll kill some off by tomorrow

How much should I add per gallon of water?

Someone with more experience can correct me, but I believe that you just spot treat with it, using a syringe or eye dropper. That's the only way I've ever used it.

Someone with more experience can correct me, but I believe that you just spot treat with it, using a syringe or eye dropper. That's the only way I've ever used it.
Hm ok... I could see that but it's on all my rock scape and on sections of my wood... So basically I'd be spot treating ALL over the tank 😅

I don't think it is safe to use other than spot treating. I would spot treat just a little bit every day to give it a chance to break down. If you get too much in there at one time, I am sure the algae won't be the only thing dying.

This is not at all the way to go, using any chemicals. It is easy to deal with cyanobacteria by correcting what is causing it. It can take weeks to achieve success, but it is possible. I had cyanobacteria twice in one tank, a 70g, and got rid of it never to return. Cyanobacteria is caused by high organic matter in the presence of light. The organics is the real key here; reduce them and the biological system will reestablish itself. Reducing light at the same time may or may not be necessary.

This is not at all the way to go, using any chemicals. It is easy to deal with cyanobacteria by correcting what is causing it. It can take weeks to achieve success, but it is possible. I had cyanobacteria twice in one tank, a 70g, and got rid of it never to return. Cyanobacteria is caused by high organic matter in the presence of light. The organics is the real key here; reduce them and the biological system will reestablish itself. Reducing light at the same time may or may not be necessary.
I have had the lights off for a long time now... Also I've been doing large water changes and really cleaning the sand.
The bga has died off a little but not much...

I don't think it is safe to use other than spot treating. I would spot treat just a little bit every day to give it a chance to break down. If you get too much in there at one time, I am sure the algae won't be the only thing dying.
Maybe I can try it a little... Idk...
I'm doing a water change tomorrow anyways

I have had the lights off for a long time now... Also I've been doing large water changes and really cleaning the sand.
The bga has died off a little but not much...

Substrate cleaning, keeping the filter spotless, feeding less, discontinuing (for the time being) any plant additives, ensuring the tank is not overstocked, keeping the light duration balanced, avoiding direct sunlight or even bright window light. I am not suggesting you are deficient in any of these, it is just a listing of the affecting factors to review.

Substrate cleaning, keeping the filter spotless, feeding less, discontinuing (for the time being) any plant additives, ensuring the tank is not overstocked, keeping the light duration balanced, avoiding direct sunlight or even bright window light. I am not suggesting you are deficient in any of these, it is just a listing of the affecting factors to review.
Nice! Thank you! It is kinda across from a window but the tank only gets a little diffused sunlight. It isnt a ton of sun the tank gets. It stays fairly dark...
My tank if DEF not overstocked so I can check that one off lol. I also just cleaned out the filter not too long ago...
And Ive been feeding less just to be sure... I also stopped using the ferts...

Maybe I should take the fish out and put them in with the large fry in my 10g and use a strong dose of hydrogen peroxide and kill off all that algae... Then do a big water change or two and let the tank ready itself and then put them back in

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back