Is it okay to add my betta during cycling?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've had a little ammonia spike in the first week, and nothing since then. It's only week two, but my parents are getting impatient and telling me it should be fine for fish now. The only stocking will be that betta, but I don't want to put her life in danger. She was in a community tank but now is getting a tank all to herself. I've moved over a couple of decorations to the new tank. And the heater, because I've heard that cold water can hurt the cycle. The other tank should be fine without it for now since it's summer. I can't put in the established filter because the fish in the community tank make a lot of waste. The established media is also too big to put in the betta tank filter.

I'm trying to use fish food and bottled bacteria for cycle. The new tank doesn't have any plants, because to plant that one I would have to use plants from the community. Which I don't want to do because it's not that planted, and I just don't want to risk moving them. I also have test strips, so I'm limited on how frequent I can test. I'm afraid that I could miss an ammonia or nitrite spike that could kill her.

If I decide to put her in already, would it be a good idea to pick up prime conditioner? I've heard it can neutralize ammonia which is good that way I can take care of it before it becomes deadly.

I've had a little ammonia spike in the first week, and nothing since then. It's only week two, but my parents are getting impatient and telling me it should be fine for fish now. The only stocking will be that betta, but I don't want to put her life in danger. She was in a community tank but now is getting a tank all to herself. I've moved over a couple of decorations to the new tank. And the heater, because I've heard that cold water can hurt the cycle. The other tank should be fine without it for now since it's summer. I can't put in the established filter because the fish in the community tank make a lot of waste. The established media is also too big to put in the betta tank filter.

I'm trying to use fish food and bottled bacteria for cycle. The new tank doesn't have any plants, because to plant that one I would have to use plants from the community. Which I don't want to do because it's not that planted, and I just don't want to risk moving them. I also have test strips, so I'm limited on how frequent I can test. I'm afraid that I could miss an ammonia or nitrite spike that could kill her.

If I decide to put her in already, would it be a good idea to pick up prime conditioner? I've heard it can neutralize ammonia which is good that way I can take care of it before it becomes deadly.
Dont rush the cycle.
When the tank is ready it will be safe for fish.
Putting the betta in know may not harm the fish but then, it might.

IMO don't add the betta until the tank is fully cycled.

As said in many of your other threads, you could also transfer some substrate from established tank(s), even temporarily by placing the substrate in containers or mesh bags for a few weeks, then moving them back, or you can move the fish and commit to large daily water changes and frequent water tests until you're confident the tank is cycled.

Prime does bind ammonia and nitrites for 24-48 hours, so can be useful for in between the daily changes.

Oh, and that live plants would help to consume ammonia.

As said in many of your other threads, you could also transfer some substrate from established tank(s), even temporarily by placing the substrate in containers or mesh bags for a few weeks, then moving them back, or you can move the fish and commit to large daily water changes and frequent water tests until you're confident the tank is cycled.

Prime does bind ammonia and nitrites for 24-48 hours, so can be useful for in between the daily changes.
Thanks for telling me I could do it temporarily, because my other tank has gravel, which wouldn't be great for this tank as it has sand, and I don't want to mix the two.

Don't rush the cycle.
When the tank is ready it will be safe for fish.
Putting the betta in know may not harm the fish but then, it might.

IMO don't add the betta until the tank is fully cycled.
Easy for you to say, but there's also a chance that they cycle might not work.

If the cycle doesn't work, it's because it isn't being done right. In your last post about the cycle I gave you the link to the instructions on how to cycle as it was clear you werent getting ammonia to where it needed to be or adding it consistently enough to allow the cycle to keep going - have you been following that link and advice now?

What's the betta housed in now? Does that have a filter etc? I assume it's in an established tank?

Also what filter do you have for the betta tank (and how big is the tank), and what sort of media is in your community tank filter? Photos would be good

Last edited:
On the one hand you seem like you genuinely want to learn and do good for the animals, on the other hand you seem to rush into some things and apparently your parents are not fully supportive of your interest in the hobby, whether that's what causes you to rush or not, I can't say and it's really beside the point.

Here's the deal with rushing the fish into the unproven tank. Either the cycle is successful and nothing bad happens, or the cycle crashes and then you have to
A) do a fish-in cycle, or
B) you put the betta back in the community tank and restart the cycle for this one

Both mandate that you spend more time and resources, including more test strips.

In either option the worst outcome is that the fish dies

I said it in one of your past threads and I'll say it again: pick a path and stick to it, let your parents know why so they understand the whole situation and show them you are being responsible. Good luck, do the right thing.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back