Is it ideal to have more than one pleco?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishstyles

Reaction score
I have just purchased a Blue Phantom Pleco, L128. The tank is 120x50x50cm 300 litres, a lot plants, wood and stone. The fish in the tank are.... Colombian red fin Tetras, black phantom Tetras, Corydoras, silver tip Tetras and golden barbs, clown loaches. Then of course the new Blue Phantom Pleco.

My question is would it be fine to add another of the same kind pleco? I've seen contradicting opinions online about aggressive behavior however the tank has numerous hiding spots so I don't see why they would fight.

What do you guys think? Would adding another be okay in your eyes?

Last edited:
To even get a better idea of the setup I'll post the tank here.
IMG-20200809-WA0005.jpg

Beautiful tank! I'm sorry I don't know enough about plecos to be able to give any advice, not sure who here is knowledgeable about plecos either, but maybe @essjay knows, or knows who might?

Beautiful tank! I'm sorry I don't know enough about plecos to be able to give any advice, not sure who here is knowledgeable about plecos either, but maybe @essjay knows, or knows who might?
Thank you! Yeah it would be nice to have another opinion or two. I never like to have just one of the same fish but if the blue phantom pleco wouldn't be happy with another of it's kind I won't bother

I expect that they will be fine as there is enough space for them to each establish their own territories. There may be some bickering while this happens but no serious issues. I have not kept this species but I did have 4 male bristlenoses in a slightly bigger tank with no problems.

If they happen to be a pair and decide to spawn it may be a problem for your corydoras paleatus. Those guys have no fear, do not respect territories and don't seem able to recognise or learn when their presence is unwanted :)

I house 3 plec’s (or BN) 2 ladies and a handsome gentleman and they live together fine. My girls get a bit boisterous with handsome Kevin my male at times but nothing to worry about. He hangs out and cleans his ship wreck ornament most of the day. The girls are always out and about cleaning around the tank. Have not experienced them spawning as yet but I would go with what seangee has advised something I will need to keep my eye on with my cories if it does happen.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back