Is it fine to make ammonia for cycling using fish popp and food

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Obsessed with fish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi, I got some fish poop from one of my fish tanks and used it in a tank to make ammonia for cycling. Will this work? I did put in bottled beneficial bacteria.

Can cory catfish be in groups of 5?

Tips for keeping live plants.

I have a guppy that's getting badly bullied. I'm wandering if I can put the guppy in the cycling tank without slowing down the prosses or having to do any extra work.

20211001_121325.jpg

Hi, I got some fish poop from one of my fish tanks and used it in a tank to make ammonia for cycling. Will this work? I did put in bottled beneficial bacteria.

Can cory catfish be in groups of 5?

Tips for keeping live plants.

I have a guppy that's getting badly bullied. I'm wandering if I can put the guppy in the cycling tank without slowing down the prosses or having to do any extra work.

View attachment 144454
Can you get a filter media or gravel from his established tank? Are all of ur friend’s fish healthy?

The poop doesn't make much ammonia but a fish pellet or small piece of cooked prawn (still in the shell) will make heaps of ammonia. Just remove the food when the ammonia level hits 3ppm and let it cycle.

Alternatively, take half the filter media from an established filter and put it in the filter on the new tank. Instant cycled filter.

The poop doesn't make much ammonia but a fish pellet or small piece of cooked prawn (still in the shell) will make heaps of ammonia. Just remove the food when the ammonia level hits 3ppm and let it cycle.

Alternatively, take half the filter media from an established filter and put it in the filter on the new tank. Instant cycled filter.
I used food and poop. Mainly food. Thanks for the ppm rate because I did not know how much.

I do think it would be much easier and faster (and less stressful for the guppy) if you just stole some media from a tank that has already been cycled or don't you have one of those? By using cycled media from another tank your tank will be instantly cycled at no risk to the guppy. If you don't put the guppy in a cycled tank then there is a high risk of death as the cycling makes ammonia and nitrites go up and down during the cycling process risking your guppy. Are the 5 cory catfish doing the bullying? So basically you put 6 fish in an uncycled tank? Or is this tank cycled and you are cycling another tank? Both of these are peaceful species I'm surprised that the cory would bother the guppy but maybe being in a ratio of 1/5 it makes the cory want to get rid of the guppy

If you have a cycled tank I would add some of the media to the uncycled tank you want to put your guppy in. It then will be safe for the guppy. Keeping a fish in a tank while it's cycling is cruel, stressful and will easily kill the fish. Or they may survive and just be traumatized. You never know. Hope you have a male guppy. Females can hold several batches of fertilized eggs - and produce hundreds of guppies. My earliest experience with a guppy pair in a fish bowl is that the female gave birth to what looked like hundreds of babies and she and male proceeded to quickly eat them. My mother ran to get another bowl to scoop out the babies and put them in the other bowl (no cycling, no water conditioning, just an old fashioned fish bowl) I was 4 yrs old and am 60 now and still remember that quite clearly.

Anyway my mom got so rattled that she spilled both bowls on the floor. The male died, the female and a few of the babies survived. I think she gave the whole lot away after that. She could see how upset I was and didn't want to risk going through that again. She was also very pregnant at the time and went into premature labor with a breach baby and the baby died in the birth canal. They were doing C-sections back then because my other relatives had some but my mother had a young doctor that thought he could deliver a premie breach baby.

I do think it would be much easier and faster (and less stressful for the guppy) if you just stole some media from a tank that has already been cycled or don't you have one of those? By using cycled media from another tank your tank will be instantly cycled at no risk to the guppy. If you don't put the guppy in a cycled tank then there is a high risk of death as the cycling makes ammonia and nitrites go up and down during the cycling process risking your guppy. Are the 5 cory catfish doing the bullying? So basically you put 6 fish in an uncycled tank? Or is this tank cycled and you are cycling another tank? Both of these are peaceful species I'm surprised that the cory would bother the guppy but maybe being in a ratio of 1/5 it makes the cory want to get rid of the guppy

If you have a cycled tank I would add some of the media to the uncycled tank you want to put your guppy in. It then will be safe for the guppy. Keeping a fish in a tank while it's cycling is cruel, stressful and will easily kill the fish. Or they may survive and just be traumatized. You never know. Hope you have a male guppy. Females can hold several batches of fertilized eggs - and produce hundreds of guppies. My earliest experience with a guppy pair in a fish bowl is that the female gave birth to what looked like hundreds of babies and she and male proceeded to quickly eat them. My mother ran to get another bowl to scoop out the babies and put them in the other bowl (no cycling, no water conditioning, just an old fashioned fish bowl) I was 4 yrs old and am 60 now and still remember that quite clearly.

Anyway my mom got so rattled that she spilled both bowls on the floor. The male died, the female and a few of the babies survived. I think she gave the whole lot away after that. She could see how upset I was and didn't want to risk going through that again. She was also very pregnant at the time and went into premature labor with a breach baby and the baby died in the birth canal. They were doing C-sections back then because my other relatives had some but my mother had a young doctor that thought he could deliver a premie breach baby.

Thank you, should i remove my non cycled media from my cycling tank or keep it there?

Goodness me...you really are not taking any notice are you?

Your "journal" thread explained what you needed to do in great detail. For someone who has apparently had aquariums before you are really not grasping the process well and that is a shame.

READ...... https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

I honestly do not understand why you keep bouncing from thread to thread when the advice you are being given is all the same on each one. If you are hoping for something to fit your way of doing things, well sorry but you'll not get it.

Do it properly and quit trying to shortcut all the time....the more you ignore the advice given, the longer the cycling process will take and the longer you will have to wait until you can begine introducing fish. You moaned that people were getting annoyed with you....well you are inviting annoyance when you will not accept advice that is being given to you. If you do not follow the instructions your fish will suffer a horrible and painful death....I cannot be any clearer than that.

Your "journal" thread explained what you needed to do in great detail. For someone who has apparently had aquariums before you are really not grasping the process well and that is a shame.

READ...... https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

I honestly do not understand why you keep bouncing from thread to thread when the advice you are being given is all the same on each one. If you are hoping for something to fit your way of doing things, well sorry but you'll not get it.

Do it properly and quit trying to shortcut all the time....the more you ignore the advice given, the longer the cycling process will take and the longer you will have to wait until you can begine introducing fish. You moaned that people were getting annoyed with you....well you are inviting annoyance when you will not accept advice that is being given to you. If you do not follow the instructions your fish will suffer a horrible and painful death....I cannot be any clearer than that.
I have had aquariums, and when I got them I did not even know cycling existed. That's probably how my 2 guppies mysteriously passed away. Then I got another one and he is fine because the tank cycled while I had fish in there. I know it cycled because when I got another guppy it survived. Honestly I think You should just be happy that I'm even cycling the tank in the 1st place.

I'm also just worried about my guppy, fu. He is getting badly bullied by a betta and I wanna save him.

If you are going to keep any fish alive you are going to need way my plant in your tank than that, especially guppies. Your tank needs to be about 50% in plants. Not just a couple of twigs.

Never place Guppy with Betta....Betta's are better on their own, they are naturally aggressive fish...hence their name Siamese Fighting Fish

They spot flowing fins and tails and to them its another male Betta on their territory and they will attack and kill it. Female Betta are as aggressive as the male and also have the ability to kill.

There should be NO fish in that new aquarium.

As for the past aquariums you say that you had....obviously you did not learn not to cut corners and you made no effort to research how to care for fish properly, hence the deaths.

Never place Guppy with Betta....Betta's are better on their own, they are naturally aggressive fish...hence their name Siamese Fighting Fish

They spot flowing fins and tails and to them its another male Betta on their territory and they will attack and kill it. Female Betta are as aggressive as the male and also have the ability to kill.

There should be NO fish in that new aquarium.

As for the past aquariums you say that you had....obviously you did not learn not to cut corners and you made no effort to research how to care for fish properly, hence the deaths.
evryone was saying its fine to keep bettas with other fish? I researched for months.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back