Is It Cryptocoryne?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RinaLane

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought online something called 'assorted crypt bunch of 12" no name no description.
I got the plants & to me they look nothing like common submerged cryptocorinas
1st sign of cocern is white flowers - googled all cryptocorynas flowers nothing like that
So I think they sold me spathiphyllum 'peace lily' which can stand in the water but cannot be fully submerged. Am I right or wrong?
The other concern is that all stems is 'bend' looks like spider legs with leaves to the ground. Planted a couple in my tank - none of them got their stems straight in direction of light.
Pictures - roots, flower & leaf

Need you help to indetify it :)

This looks like Cryptocoryne ciliata or could be something like a specie of Anubia such as Hydrophilia or Hastifolia.

On the subject of water lilies, a lot of these are too big for aquariums although there are other types of water lilies that do well in aquariums such as Tiger Lotus.

If I were you, I would try to look these up on google and see if that resembles anything like your picture, but as a guess these species i mentioned would be my starting point.

Plant id is not my thing but I agree that it looks like a peace lilly too but there are certain anubias plants that also send white peace lilly type flowers. The roots don't look like anubias roots to me though ... I can't see a rhizome in the photo's which if it is an anubias there should be an obvious rhizome. 

I know the peace lilly can be grown out of the top of the tank (as you've mentioned) but I'm fairly sure your not supposed to submerge the whole plant. Until you can get other opinions I would keep it away from your fish just to be safe

Scratching my head a little on this 
sad2.gif

i wish it was Cryptocoryne ciliata  but it doesnt look like it :( Quit upset that they sold me that :(

My best guess would be an anubia species. When it is an Anubias my guess would be an A. afzelli. As these have similar shaped leaves, the color of the flower matches. Although the ones that Ch4rlie mentioned are very similar as well.

The C. ciliata has different flowers, more reddisch. The rhizome could just be extremely short

I think the plant is more than likely a peace lily so it is non aquatic, it's leaves seem to be very floppy which suggests it is suffering, all anubias I have seen have very rigid leaf stalks out of water plus the rizome doesn't look quite right, I would pot it up in some soil and put it on a window ledge if you have 2 you could leave one in some water and do a bit of an experiment to see which fairs better but I would definitely be contacting the company asking for an explanation!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back