Is it camallanus? How to treat it in Canada?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

65 degree celsius water will kill plants
many plants survive heat waves hotter than that
a 65c water change should last about 30-40 minutes to cool back down
now..freezing temperatures on the other hand as soon as it hits 0c and the water content inside freezes it can actually break the plant just with the weight alone
that's if the cells inside don't crystalize and puff your plant's gone...
with heat plants might melt a bit or roots shrink because of heat but this is in a normal environment outside dealing with 45c+ outside and around 10c over that on the asphalt /cement
not inside a full tank of water...

Last edited:
65 degree celsius water will kill plants
I don't do Centigrade but I do dip plants in a 3% bleach dip for maybe 5 minutes then remove to a bucket of clean water. I'd imagine that would knock out eggs, but I have never dealt with Camallanus either

fenbendazole is "goat wormer". Do they keep goats in Canada?
We have the best and finest goats on the planet.

We still need a veterinary prescription to treat them.... I have a very old dog who is close to the end of her life, and we have spent a fair bit of time at the local vet. I asked him, and he won't issue a script because he was never trained in fish. I had a vet in Montreal whose children I'd taught and who trusted me to know something, and if I explained what I wanted and why, and sent her a science based paper or two, she would sell it to me, at a high price. At least I could get it the last time I saw it.

I buy goat wormer at the feed store. Well I did, when I had a goat. but I bought a cattle and goat wormer online from walmart pharmacy, used it to worm my chickens this past summer. I suspect the US regulation is much less strict

It's been two weeks since I started the Fritz Expel-P treatment. In other words, this is what I did:
Day 0: Took out all decor and added Expel-P to the tank
Day 1: Did a 25% water change, as recommended by Fritz. I also did a gravel vac.
Day 7: Did a 33% water change (incl. gravel vac) and added Expel-P one more time
Day 8: Did a 25% water change (incl. gravel vac)

Tomorrow is day 15, and I'm wondering if I should treat the tank one more time or not. I haven't seen worms on the fish for this past week; however, one of the guppies had some babies, to which I fed baby brine shrimp. A couple of days ago, I thought I saw on a "teen" guppy (not fry) a worm coming out, but I'm very certain it was just poop in the brine shrimp color, as the next morning, it was not there anymore. Usually, the worms stay for quite a while, no? It was the only instance that brought me some uncertainty about whether I should treat one more time or not.

Thoughts?

You should leave all ornaments in the tank when treating unless you can bleach the ornaments to kill any worm eggs.

You need to treat the fish once a week for 3 to 4 weeks. If you don't do follow up treatments, the worm eggs hatch inside the fish and the cycle continues. The second and third treatments kill the baby worms that hatch from eggs and break the lifecycle.

You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treatment.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

There is a link for Aquarium Calculator on right side of the website. It lets you convert temperature, water chemistry, etc.
65 degrees Celsius is 149 Fahrenheit

I took out the decor because I'm going to redo the aquascape. Although, I did take out the plants too, and those I obviously can't put under 65C. How to best treat these plants?

So I need to do it for 3 to 4 weeks (i.e. 3 to 4 treatments). That sounds good, I'll do the 3rd one this weekend, then.

I took out the decor because I'm going to redo the aquascape. Although, I did take out the plants too, and those I obviously can't put under 65C. How to best treat these plants?

So I need to do it for 3 to 4 weeks (i.e. 3 to 4 treatments). That sounds good, I'll do the 3rd one this weekend, then.
I dip my live plants in a dilute bleach solution if I am concerned about disease transmission, then rinse and dip in a bucket with water and dechlorinator.

Most reactions

Back