Is It A Good Idea To Put Guppy Fry In Newly Cycled Tank ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LJEV

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 2 125 ltr tanks with various fish in them. 3 weeks ago one of my guppies had 15 fry whitch are still in a seperate hatchery in one of the tanks. The fry is now large enough to sex so i feel they now need splitting up. As I have some quite large fish in my main tanks (angels, fighters etc ) I`m not to keen on putting them in with them so I have bought a smaller 40 ltr tank just for the fry. It has now been cycling for a week and a half and levels seem spot on. Will it affect the fry putting them in a newly set up tank or would it be best to keep them in the hatchery for a while longer and cycle the tank more.
ps I am pretty new to tropical fish keeping but have an instant love for it.

Cycled for 1 week? Did you use mature media to achieve this? Either way its always a risk with sensitive fry, personally I wouldnt be too worried, your guppies will start dropping very regular and sooner or later youll see them as a pain ;)

Cycled for 1 week? Did you use mature media to achieve this? Either way its always a risk with sensitive fry, personally I wouldnt be too worried, your guppies will start dropping very regular and sooner or later youll see them as a pain ;)

I put the new filter in one of my other tanks for 5 days then filled the new 40 ltr tank with 20 ltr of water from my established tank and the rest clean water, ran it for a further 5 days and all seems good, I think I`ll leave it another week then put them in. As you say they might get to be a pain but as i`m new to it i`m experimenting with the colours of them especially with the endlers i`ve got.
Thanks for reply

that filter will not have viable bacteria colonies present - the media needs to be matured.

I put the new filter in one of my other tanks for 5 days then filled the new 40 ltr tank with 20 ltr of water from my established tank and the rest clean water, ran it for a further 5 days and all seems good, I think I`ll leave it another week then put them in. As you say they might get to be a pain but as i`m new to it i`m experimenting with the colours of them especially with the endlers i`ve got.
Thanks for reply
You need to take some sponge from old filter and add it to the new one. I use this method all the time and it works. I always keep spare sponges in my large filters to be used in emergences,Otherwise you won't have enough bacteria to begin with as you've been told.

Thanks for all the advise. The filter in the new aqua el 40 is just a small internal filter so the sponges arnt compatable ( or I just don't know how to do it ) so I'm just doing a 3 week fishless cycle using the actibacktol aditive that comes with the tank to hopefully speed things up. You were right about the guppies dropping all the time I've got another 25 yesterday. Lfs buys them for 30p each when there at neon size ( should pay for some food )

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back