Is inbreeding bristlenose plecos ok?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hurgerburger

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,
I've had a breeding pair of bristlenose plecos for around 6 years now, but sadly just the other day the female, KitKat, passed away. I do still want to continue breeding plecos, however. My male (Zuko) is a fantastic dad, he spawns every month or so without fail. I know snake inbreeding is acceptable, but is fish inbreeding ok? I have some of their daughters still in the tank. or would it be a better idea to buy one from the fish store? I know often Bristlenose Plecos are sold when they're too young to be sexed, how would I know I'm buying a female? If you know of any spots to buy older Bristlenose Plecos, I'm in the Boston area.

Inbreeding any animal is bad for it. If both parents have bad genes, it is passed on to all the offspring. Mixing new bloodlines is the best way to prevent unwanted defects and deformities.

Most pet shops sell small, medium and large bristlenose catfish. Buy a female and put her in with your current male. Look for a fish without any bristles on the face or head.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back