Is electric yellow holding?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fishguy13

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello, I was just wondering if my electric yellow was holding or not. I asked for a male and two females from the pet shop not sure if this a female or not. I have not had them long.

Attachments

• 20200404_204429.jpg
    20200404_204429.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 129
yep, looks like she has a mouthful.

Female cichlids that are carrying eggs will usually stop feeding while they have the eggs and babies. That is not normally a problem unless the female has multiple batches in a row. Then the females can starve. But one batch is normally fine. After she has released the babies, make sure she gets heaps of food to help her build up her strength.

Years ago I bread African Cichlids and @Colin_T is spot one. enjoy your fry. I started out with 8 adults and ended up with over 50 by the end of a year.

I am not sure if she is or not because later on the mouth looked fairly normal but then tonight looked like that??

Last edited:
If she still has a lump under her mouth she is probably carrying eggs. If the lump has gone she might have swallowed the eggs.

Like @Colin_T Said she may have swallowed them:( Some of my cichlids would really stuff their mouths with fry. The first time they started having fry not many seemed to survived maybe because they were new at it but it did not take long before there were plenty of them. One thing I add to the tank was plastic fry grass. So the fry had a good place to hide.

I don't know what if she is holding or not because on and off she has quite a large mouth normally around when i feed her.:dunno:

Give it a little time if the fry are in there she will let them out and they should stay close to her for protection just make sure you feed her well! That is very important. You could also take them out and but them in a fry net. I prefer letting the mother take care of them. She will protect them in her mouth. It was really interesting to watch. There may only be a few so it may be hard to tell when they are in her mouth.

Could it be possible that it is not holding and just trying to seem bigger to a supposedly sub dominant male?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back