Is dumping fish water down the toilet costing me more money? (Uk)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyKieran

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi, I usually dump my fish water on a water change down the toilet. My water bills are divided into sewage and water use. Am I costing myself more money than just pouring it outside?

Hi, I usually dump my fish water on a water change down the toilet. My water bills are divided into sewage and water use. Am I costing myself more money than just pouring it outside?
Yes. Cause the water companies charge for water going out as well.
That is because they treat all the water going down and it costs

In the States, the sewage portion of our water bills is based on water usage...not sure how it works in the UK, though

That being said, it's doubtful dumping the water into the commode will raise your bill...and, why not dump it on the lawn, or in a flower bed?...old tank water has lots of nutrients that are good for plants

Yes. Cause the water companies charge for water going out as well.
That is because they treat all the water going down and it costs
I hate to sound negative, but no....sewage charges are based on water usage...there's no meters to calculate outgoing water from a home, only incoming

I hate to sound negative, but no....sewage charges are based on water usage...there's no meters to calculate outgoing water from a home, only incoming
Nope. We're charged here for the outgoing water. Someone has to treat it so it's safe for drinking and that costs money

In the US , if you install a second meter for outdoor spigots, you can avoid paying the sewer charges for outdoor watering. But indoor water use does get charged for sewer .

Yeah I have a water meter but only under my sink which I imagine is just incoming water

Nope. We're charged here for the outgoing water. Someone has to treat it so it's safe for drinking and that costs money
How do they measure the outgoing water?

EVERYONE is charged a sewage rate, so how do they measure how much output EVERY INDIVIDUAL HOME (or business) creates?

Simple: by water usage, in the majority of cases

Yeah I have a water meter but only under my sink which I imagine is just incoming water
And that is what your sewage charge is based on....hey, if in doubt, just dump it in the garden

How do they measure the outgoing water?

EVERYONE is charged a sewage rate, so how do they measure how much output EVERY INDIVIDUAL HOME (or business) creates?

Simple: by water usage, in the majority of cases
They can do it two ways I suppose. See how much goes down the drains OR however much water use there is, they just assume it goes down the drain and they charge it.
We get charged for the outgoing water here :dunno:

They can do it two ways I suppose. See how much goes down the drains OR however much water use there is, they just assume it goes down the drain and they charge it.
We get charged for the outgoing water here :dunno:
I'm getting charged $ on assumptions??? ... lol

I'm getting charged $ on assumptions??? ... lol
I don't know how exactly they measure it BUT we ARE charged FOR the outgoing water in my area... That's what my parents said. They said that on the bill we are also charged for that. Which to me doesn't make any sense but just the way it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back