Is ceramic okay to put in the aquarium?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Raechal

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
So my mom bought this little skeleton that drinks rum and moves with an airstone and she wants to do a pirate theme. So she found a ceramic skull laying around the house and we wanted to know if we could add it to her tank? We are trying to boil it right now just to make sure there is no bacteria or anything on it. :no:

But just wanted to get your opinions. My mom was like, "Ask those people on your fish forum! They'll know!" Lol. :D :wub:

Depends on the glazing.. I'll just bump up so someone else can help. I know some ceramic is ok.

I'd say so i've always used it and its been fine. I spose it depends on the piece and certainly if it was painted or anything like that u might be leary of otherwise boil away and ya should be ok! ;)

I would say chances are it will have no ill effect. Personally I'd give it a shot.

yarrrr.... 'tis the pirate month of Marrrrch! :rofl:
do it! pirate themes are sooo much fun! just watch out for :ninja:

:hums pirate vs ninja:
why don't we have a pirate smiley? this is a fish forum, right? fish... pirates... makes sense to me!!

I'm unfamiliar with it but I do know that the Fluval filters I just installed came with ceramic media so i would assume it is fine. I'm sure someone out there has more experience and can better answer.

Well we boiled it and let it cool and stuck it in the tank and it looks awesome! The fish don't really seem that interested in it, but I like it. :thumbs: My mom is going to get a treasure chest this weekend to put on the other side. :D

Agreed. My mum just goes 'Huh?' when I talk about fish, or nods and smiles. But it sounds groovy, I'm going to put ceramic flower pots in my tank.

Raechal said:
So she found a ceramic skull laying around the house and we wanted to know if we could add it to her tank?
The ceramics will be fine ONLY if it is glazed inside and out, and if there are no cracks in the glazing. Ceramics are just baked mud, exposure to water over time makes ceramic break down and all those chemicals will leach into your water. Be very carfull when adding stuff that is not made spacifically for tanks.

OohFeeshy said:
So you can't add a normal terracotta plant pot? What if I coated it in sealent?
Sorry for the delay!

The sealent will be toxic to the fish. Terracotta is made with the same principal as ceramic. The coating that is applied has to be baked in order for it to be aquarium safe unless it is specially manufactured for tank use. Anything that can take in water will deteriorate over time. Case in point. An old terracotta pot has a definate water ring around it that is visable on the outside of the pot from moisture build up. This is a sign that the pot has started to deteriorate.

P.S.Owned a ceramic shop for 15 years.

LOL I meant aquarium sealent. How long will it take for them to deteriorate? If it takes a while, I'll put them in anyway and take them out after some time. Although I could ask Mrs. Derry nicely if I can go up at lunchtime and make some. And glaze them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back