Is cement and brick pond harmful to goldfish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ptsteve97

Reaction score
I'm on the way of making pond using cement and bricks. Is the materials harmful to goldfish, or any other fish? I think the pond have enough size for my goldfish.

I have 1 male and 1 female Sarasa Comet and 2 female Shunbunkins.

They are currently in a 15 gallon tank, and I can't find a 100 gallon tank around my town area, or local online shop.

+And what kinds of filter can I use for a pond? I have 850 l/hour canister filter, and I think it only suitable for around 20 gallon tank. Other than canister, is there any alternative?

Last edited:
Cement and brick ponds are fine for any fish that lives in alkaline water with a pH above 7.0. The cement makes the pH go up.

Goldfish are fine in water with a pH above 7.0.

------------------
You can get sealers for the pond that stop the water coming in contact with the cement if you don't want the pH to go up.

You can also put tiles around the sides and bottom to stop the water coming in contact with the cement.

-------------------
You can get large sponges to go on the intake of most water pumps. These filter the water quite well. You can also get or make external trickle filters. The water is pumped into the top of the trickle filter and flows through sponges and then back into the pond.

You can make a trickle filter out of a plastic storage container or rubbish bin.

Cement and brick ponds are fine for any fish that lives in alkaline water with a pH above 7.0. The cement makes the pH go up.

Goldfish are fine in water with a pH above 7.0.

------------------
You can get sealers for the pond that stop the water coming in contact with the cement if you don't want the pH to go up.

You can also put tiles around the sides and bottom to stop the water coming in contact with the cement.

-------------------
You can get large sponges to go on the intake of most water pumps. These filter the water quite well. You can also get or make external trickle filters. The water is pumped into the top of the trickle filter and flows through sponges and then back into the pond.

You can make a trickle filter out of a plastic storage container or rubbish bin.
I see, thanks for the information! I will try to make the filter myself. Apparently there are many tutorial on that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back