Is anyone using or has used Seachem Ammonia Alert?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Yes, I use one and like it! I also use the Seachem Free and Total ammonia test kit as my water contains ammonium that tests positive on ammonia test. You do have to replace the ammonia alerts once a year.

I don't/haven't used it before. I don't really see the real need to buy/use this product. I just have a standard API freshwater test kit. I test my water weekly, right after I do my water changes.

(@Deanasue, I have a question: If my water evaporates on a weekly basis, (Around 50% over the span of 1 week) do I still have to do a 50% water change? (Sorry for sort of hijacking your thread @Retired Viking. ;))

I use the Seachem ammonia alert and think it's great. After 12 months it'll need to be replaced which I'll definitely be doing.

If my water evaporates on a weekly basis, (Around 50% over the span of 1 week) do I still have to do a 50% water change?

Yes. When the water evaporates, it is only water that evaporates. Everything else stays in the water. So you do still have to do a water change to remove all the stuff dissolved in the tank water which doesn't evaporate.

Back to the original question. Once the tank is established I never test for ammonia. Until then I test it daily. By all means spend the money if it makes you feel better but there really is no need.

Yes, I use one and like it!
I don't/haven't used it before. I don't really see the real need to buy/use this product. I just have a standard API freshwater test kit. I test my water weekly, right after I do my water changes.

(@Deanasue, I have a question: If my water evaporates on a weekly basis, (Around 50% over the span of 1 week) do I still have to do a 50% water change? (Sorry for sort of hijacking your thread @Retired Viking. ;))
First, the reason to have an alert is more beneficial to people who show ammonia readings when testing or for people who don’t do weekly testing. (most of us don’t). It helps determine if the readings are showing ammonia or ammonium and if it reaches a harmful level. Second, even with water evaporation, you still need to suction the bottom of your tank to do good substrate cleaning which will remove more water anyway. At that time, do your water change. If you are losing that much water a week (50%) either your Light is too warm, you have something leaking, or you need a lid for the tank. 50% is way too much water to be losing. Hope this helps. :)

It depends what you want the Seachem ammonia alert for. If it's just for a quick visual check to see if there is any ammonia, fine. But if you want it to find out how much free ammonia there is and you already have an ammonia tester, just use the tester and a free ammonia calculator like this one https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/FreeAmmonia.php

Yes. When the water evaporates, it is only water that evaporates. Everything else stays in the water. So you do still have to do a water change to remove all the stuff dissolved in the tank water which doesn't evaporate.
First, the reason to have an alert is more beneficial to people who show ammonia readings when testing or for people who don’t do weekly testing. (most of us don’t). It helps determine if the readings are showing ammonia or ammonium and if it reaches a harmful level. Second, even with water evaporation, you still need to suction the bottom of your tank to do good substrate cleaning which will remove more water anyway. At that time, do your water change. If you are losing that much water a week (50%) either your Light is too warm, you have something leaking, or you need a lid for the tank. 50% is way too much water to be losing. Hope this helps. :)
Ok, thank you both. That makes sense that only the water evaporates. :)

It depends what you want the Seachem ammonia alert for. If it's just for a quick visual check to see if there is any ammonia, fine. But if you want it to find out how much free ammonia there is and you already have an ammonia tester, just use the tester and a free ammonia calculator like this one https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/FreeAmmonia.php
I actually watch the alert as a safety net. As mentioned above, I use Free and Total Ammonia test kit periodically too. The alert keeps you from having to do it so much though. I guess it’s a matter of opinion.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back