Is An Air Stone Needed?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Air stones are sometimes frowned upon in planted tanks since the gas exchange at the surface can reduce CO2 in the water (and plants grow better with ample CO2). However, unless you're injecting CO2 it's a bit of a moot point and in the FW aquarium, there's nothing wrong with increased oxygen. Also, elevated temperatures typically means less oxygen dissolved in the water so in come cases, an air stone may be a benefit and since it can't hurt, why not???

Air stones are sometimes frowned upon in planted tanks since the gas exchange at the surface can reduce CO2 in the water (and plants grow better with ample CO2). However, unless you're injecting CO2 it's a bit of a moot point and in the FW aquarium, there's nothing wrong with increased oxygen. Also, elevated temperatures typically means less oxygen dissolved in the water so in come cases, an air stone may be a benefit and since it can't hurt, why not???
@Deanasue doesn’t use CO2 to my knowledge.

Apart from oxygenating the tank water, air stones are advantageous when it comes to providing excellent water circulation. They help boost water circulation more than an undispersed air feed into the aquarium from an air pump. The bubbles will also bolster the surface area of the water more. That's why I always use air stones for my tank.

Last edited:
The main thing air stones do is move the water from the the bottom of the tank to the top. They also ripple the surface so they increase the surface area of the tank. That is important for gas exchange. They don't add oxygen as such the air bubbles are way to big for that.

The main thing air stones do is move the water from the the bottom of the tank to the top. They also ripple the surface so they increase the surface area of the tank. That is important for gas exchange. They don't add oxygen as such the air bubbles are way to big for that.
And they create water movement on the surface of the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back