Is An Air Stone Needed?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Treating a rescue betta for ich. I usually add an air stone for my other fish. However, since bettas are use to 80ish temps and have labyrinth organs to breathe air, do they need one? Just thinking. I also added salt.

Yeah, but I’m not adding meds. Just heat and salt. :dunno:

My friend has currently got ich and is treating with heat only and his oxygen on a test went from 10ppm to 5ppm on a scale of 0-10 just from raising the temperature, I'm unsure of what reading is danger to betta I assume anything below 3-4?

As you mentioned, bettas can take oxygen from the air, so I'd assume you'd be ok.

With that being said, I'd still add the air stone to be safe. The higher temperature will likely reduce oxygen in the water.

Also do betta not usually live in tanks with no water movement or air in fish shops anyway? I suppose it depends on how many other fish their are with it.

I’m no expert, but I wouldn’t. If you already have it and you’re it going to go buy a new one, then I’d go ahead and put it in there. Just because you already have it. (Kinda confusing, lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m no expert, but I wouldn’t. If you already have it and you’re it going to go buy a new one, then I’d go ahead and put it in there. Just because you already have it. (Kinda confusing, lol)
In other words, if you have one, use it!

Air stones don't just aerate the water, they circulate it too so the water temperature is even right throughout the container. This is especially important if you are treating white spot because the water can have different temperatures at different levels if you don't have it circulating.

I don’t se them in betta tanks because they don’t like turbulence. Only when treating the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back