The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

markandhisfish

comfortably numb
Reaction score
EF-S 18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6 non USM Lens

is this still an auto focus lens?

Is this the lens that you get with the canon eos 1000d? I have recently got this camera, and the lens is autofocus with a manual focus option.

cheers :good:

not sure. im looking at a 2nd hand eos 450d body and am trying to find a lens to go with it that fits within my budget.

ive got £400 for the body and a "starter" lens ( both used)

just found a blinding deal online. brand new eos 450d with image stabilised Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Lens ,battery ,charger , usb lead ,neck strap and all software for £440.99

EF-S 18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6 non USM Lens

is this still an auto focus lens?

its auto focus, and very low quality. both construction and image wise. noted as a zoom lens for those who are not, that, interested in quality.

its ok im not getting that 1 any more im getting the package i put about 2 replies ago. from reading reviews it seems the image stabilised 18-55 lens is a slightly improved version of the standard kit lens , which will be fine as a "starter" i have found a site that is a good 20 to 30% cheaper than anywhere else online . just waiting for a cheque to clear in my account then i will be ordering a new eos 450d . cheque should clear tomorrow and if i order before 3pm i get it the next day , so hopefully i should be entering the world of dslr photography by the end of the week :good: and i have to be honest im like an excited little kid i cant wait!
once ive got the camera the next things on the wish list will be a good macro lens , a top notch "all rounder" lens , and a good telephoto . might have to chat my dad up and see if he will lend me his telephoto lens. hes got 1 of those horrendously expensive grey canon ones . dont think he will lend it to me tho as it is his baby but hey i can try :hey:

just found a blinding deal online. brand new eos 450d with image stabilised Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Lens ,battery ,charger , usb lead ,neck strap and all software for £440.99

Not sure if you've seen Mark but you can get all that^ brand new for £399 from an ebay store

cheers davo , also i have just discovered that the 450d is a discontinued line , and now realise 440 is way overprpriced , especially when for an extra 45 quid i can get a brand new 500d still with image stabilised lens . also with buying a 450d online and it being discontinued id say there was a high chance it wasnt a uk spec model. i think when the cheque clears i will just go to the shop i just went to and get the 500d

Yeah the 450D was discontinued when they have brought out the 550D, The 500D which is what i have atm, will no doubt soon be discontinued too due to the imminent arrival of the 600D

how do you find the 500d davo? im all but decided on it . it does get good reviews , and i did find the 450d i borrowed a while ago to be good , but it would be good to get some feedback from somebody who actually owns 1 .

Tbh if your familiar with the 450D then you probably won't notice much difference, apart from the slightly larger output and the addition of the video camcorder setting, (which isn't the easiest thing to use whilst trying to keep the camera still)

All round it is a good reliable camera, although personally i preferred the 350D that I had previously had, although i can't put my finger on why?

cheers davo. i think tbh with such little difference in the prices ive seen between the 450 and 500 im going to go for a 500 , as the extra megapixels will surely be of use when i want to blow up shot big to be framed etc , and even tho its meant to be quite tricky to get the hang of i like the idea of being able to shoot full 1080p hd video .

cheers davo. i think tbh with such little difference in the prices ive seen between the 450 and 500 im going to go for a 500 , as the extra megapixels will surely be of use when i want to blow up shot big to be framed etc , and even tho its meant to be quite tricky to get the hang of i like the idea of being able to shoot full 1080p hd video .

Actually the number of megapixel is not significant. It's the size and quality of the sensor that determines the final output of the picture (excluding the lens here). Good example would be a full-frame dSLR at hight ISO compare to a standard dSLR at the same ISO. Any dSLR will give you better quality picture compare to a point and shoot, kit lens or not.

Also note that HD video recording on earlier version of dSLR do not autofocus. I haven't looked into dslr since I bought my D300 a few years ago, so can't comment on the latest stuff.

My only advice would be get the best you can afford. As I said you will end of spending more on lens than the camera, and the lens are the bits that you'll keep as you continue on your journey.

A decent macro lens is not cheap and do consider other makes like Sigma and Tamron. They do some good lens too.

Adrian

the hd video on the d500 does have af but the reviews say its quite noisy . as for getting the best i can afford i was originally going to spend 250 then it went upt to 350 then 450 and now £499 lol i gotta draw the line there. this is pretty much the best i can afford at the moment . a good macro lens will be the next investment . i have seen a really good canon 1 but i think it was about £600 !!! im only going to add lenses to my collection when at times i can afford to spend the money to get the quality. but for now i think the d500 kit will be a nice starting point .

Most reactions

trending

Back