Is A 48 Inch Tank Too Ambitious

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gforce17

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just finished a 64 litre set up with some success (not being too big headed). Keen to have a second bigger tank. Would a 4ft one be too much too soon? Any advice. Thanks!

i dont see why it would be to soon? it will keep you on your feet ;p

Larger tanks are actually easier to maintain than the smaller ones and because of the larger volume, its a little more forgiving on mistakes. I say go for it! I have 2 4ft tanks and I don't have any problems with them. Just research the types of fish you want to keep. Some fish require more so make sure you choose your stock based on what you know you can do for them :)

i dont see why it would be to soon? it will keep you on your feet ;p

Does that mean very hard work? Not that I'm averse to hard work.

Larger tanks are actually easier to maintain than the smaller ones and because of the larger volume, its a little more forgiving on mistakes. I say go for it! I have 2 4ft tanks and I don't have any problems with them. Just research the types of fish you want to keep. Some fish require more so make sure you choose your stock based on what you know you can do for them :)

Thanks. That's very encouraging.

I think you will do just fine. But remember with larger tank you have larger stock, whether it be a lot more small fish, or just bigger fish in general. So I HIGHLY recommend a fishless cycle as you will not have problems when you do stock.

Also, when you say 4ft, what type of gallonage are you talking? I have a 75g and a 55g. Both 4ft tanks.

no more work than your other one :good: if not less becasue your less likely to have problems

I think you will do just fine. But remember with larger tank you have larger stock, whether it be a lot more small fish, or just bigger fish in general. So I HIGHLY recommend a fishless cycle as you will not have problems when you do stock.

Also, when you say 4ft, what type of gallonage are you talking? I have a 75g and a 55g. Both 4ft tanks.

Probably 55 US gals 4'x1'x1.5'.

Probably 55 US gals 4'x1'x1.5'.

no more work than your other one :good: if not less becasue your less likely to have problems
Thanks that's really helpful. I'd better go to sleep now.

Bigger tanks are easier than smaller ones. The only harder part is getting it cycled for fish and the bigger water changes needed due to the tanks volume. The only tanks I'd say are too big for beginners are the ones well over 100 gallons. I say go for it.

Such a large tank will have quite a variety of stocking options. Use the time while cycling to research what plan would be best for you.

double the time it takes to do a water change, and that's about the only difference.

double the time it takes to do a water change, and that's about the only difference.

+1

Other than water changes, and needing more plants to look good, its no difference. And as already mentioned, with a larger water colummn, they;re actually a lot more forgiving for beginners, as problems take longer to manifest, giving you more time to react.

:)

Go for it mate!! I went from a 64litre tank straight up to my 180 and if amything its easier and I could finally stock the fish I wanted :) need to learn things with the older tank first though

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back