Is 120l out of 190l enough?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AmyKieran

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I try to follow the 75% water change rule but my filter loses the siphon. The hose isn’t long enough to push the intake down further so the most I can do is 120l which is about 63%. Is this enough for my weekly water changes?

Whats your nitrate level before the water change?

Is your tank really only 190 litres? With all those cichlids in??

Wills

Whats your nitrate level before the water change?

Is your tank really only 190 litres? With all those cichlids in??

Wills
Yes 50g, nitrates sit about 20-30 at the water change day.

It's fine doing a 60% water change. If you find the nitrates go up, do 2 x 50-60% water changes each week.

Yes 50g, nitrates sit about 20-30 at the water change day.
Blimey ok. 20-30 pre water change is pretty good considering, what does it sit at after a water change?

A 50% change should clear out everything else its just the nitrate I'd be concerned about.

Wills

Blimey ok. 20-30 pre water change is pretty good considering, what does it sit at after a water change?

A 50% change should clear out everything else its just the nitrate I'd be concerned about.

Wills
Nitrates stay below 10 most days, just creeps up to 20-30 on water change day. I know above 20 is on the high side, do you think I should do 2 x water changes per week?

Nitrates stay below 10 most days, just creeps up to 20-30 on water change day. I know above 20 is on the high side, do you think I should do 2 x water changes per week?
To be honest 30ppm nitrates at the end of the week does not concern me given the amount of fish you have. I know we've said about it before but it is very heavy on the stock to a point where I'm uncomfortable... But I reckon given your clear passion for this your big tank is a matter of time haha!

Wills

To be honest 30ppm nitrates at the end of the week does not concern me given the amount of fish you have. I know we've said about it before but it is very heavy on the stock to a point where I'm uncomfortable... But I reckon given your clear passion for this your big tank is a matter of time haha!

Wills
Too right! Keep hinting to my wife ide love a six footer lol

Wills
But yes, I think I’ve mentioned this before. If I knew what I knew now, I would have bought a lot less fish, the LFS told me at the start that 50 would be a great number with no issues. If I could do it again tomorrow I would have halved that. But yeah, big tank will be on its way lol. My cousin is selling her 6x6x6 ft aquarium. Might get rid of the couches and get that :)

The following link is for a pet shop around here. It was run by a guy called Paul, I'm not sure if he still owns it but I assume he does. They have a large Rift lake tank as a display in the shop. I think it's about 8 ft long x 6 ft wide x 3-4 ft high. The tank is in the main page of their website at the link below. It looks like the picture and has heaps of cichlids in.

The next link is one of the small tanks he has for sale but behind the little tank is the big display from the information above. The big tank behind the little one on the pine stand with hood is the cichlid tank.

But yes, I think I’ve mentioned this before. If I knew what I knew now, I would have bought a lot less fish, the LFS told me at the start that 50 would be a great number with no issues. If I could do it again tomorrow I would have halved that. But yeah, big tank will be on its way lol. My cousin is selling her 6x6x6 ft aquarium. Might get rid of the couches and get that :)
6x6x6!! whats that got in it!

You should go for a Trigon 350 first in the same colour and just put it in when shes out and tell her its always been that big!

6x6x6!! whats that got in it!

You should go for a Trigon 350 first in the same colour and just put it in when shes out and tell her its always been that big!
Great idea haha, she has an arowana and some massive catfish, I’ll post some photos sometime

Also @Wills i thought ide ask, any aquascaping advice for me with my tank?
Pictures below

Attachments

• 6829E355-8304-4FDD-9026-1F789CB59019.jpeg
    6829E355-8304-4FDD-9026-1F789CB59019.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20AA3961-94D3-4FE8-B3F1-3518B2365803.jpeg
    20AA3961-94D3-4FE8-B3F1-3518B2365803.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 18

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back