Irritated and frustrated...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Wow.. I was so irritated this evening while I was helping someone out on FB. The question of the topic starter was about Skiffia multipunctata. This is a goodeid. She got some of those fish but didn't know what they were. One of the members of that group tagged me. So, that I could help the topic starter out. A staff member removed all of my replies with the exception of one. They gave me a reply that said that I was promoting myself and my website, which wasn't the case. I didn't even mention my website's name. But it came down to, that I was too knowledgeable to them. But no one on the board even knew that it was a livebearer to start with. Just because they only knew the commercial common livebearers as guppies, swordtails, mollies and platies. I have even send them some feedbacks in a normal, adult and decent way. But the responses were very harsh towards me. Such people shouldn't be a board member to start with if they can not even behave themselves.

Wow.. I was so irritated this evening while I was helping someone out on FB. The question of the topic starter was about Skiffia multipunctata. This is a goodeid. She got some of those fish but didn't know what they were. One of the members of that group tagged me. So, that I could help the topic starter out. A staff member removed all of my replies with the exception of one. They gave me a reply that said that I was promoting myself and my website, which wasn't the case. I didn't even mention my website's name. But it came down to, that I was too knowledgeable to them. But no one on the board even knew that it was a livebearer to start with. Just because they only knew the commercial common livebearers as guppies, swordtails, mollies and platies. I have even send them some feedbacks in a normal, adult and decent way. But the responses were very harsh towards me. Such people shouldn't be a board member to start with if they can not even behave themselves.
sometimes its not worth it to put yourself in the trouble of explaining and arguing with someone so ignorant, big social media sites like FB people just think they are right and any logical argument is wrong tbh

I gave up trying to use facebook because of that type of thing. If someone in the group doesn't like you, they kick you. If they don't like you posting long informative responses, they kick you.

It's one of those sites where everyone wants a 1 sentence answer that agrees with everyone else.

Having said that, we enjoy your company and responses, and consider you our livebearer expert, and hope you will stay with us for a long time to come. :)

I wouldn't waste my time with FB. It's sort of like when you're smarter than your teacher in school. How is that your fault?

I gave up trying to use facebook because of that type of thing. If someone in the group doesn't like you, they kick you. If they don't like you posting long informative responses, they kick you.

It's one of those sites where everyone wants a 1 sentence answer that agrees with everyone else.

Having said that, we enjoy your company and responses, and consider you our livebearer expert, and hope you will stay with us for a long time to come. :)
yes, you have been an inspiration to my journey for fishkeeping since i am really interested in livebearers. still cant find those dang rare livebearers lol :mad:

It is horror stories like this that keep me as more of a passive viewer on facebook. Sorry someone got one up their nose because you were actually helpful.

I don’t do, and have never done FB. Who wants to know I’m dozing on the sofa..? Certainly no drama exciting enough in my life that anyone else will want to read about, and I certainly don’t want to be inviting anyone else’s drama in!
I also didn’t want to be monitoring my (late teens/20s) children‘s activities etc. We have a WhatsApp family group for everyone needs to know stuff, and we communicate 1-2-1 for other stuff…

They are just jealous of your Happy New Year card 😉

Seriously, that's unfortunate.
I think they're probably just unclear as to who you are. continue to help the people that want to help and appreciate it, and just ignore the rest of them until they can see straight !

I only use facebook for sharing family photos with my family and for a few groups that I'm a member of on there.

Some of the groups are amazing and friendly/helpful. Most of the blacksmithing groups and the Gaslands group are especially nice. The 3D printing ones are a bit hit and miss. The fish ones (at least the ones I have looked at) are mostly pretty awful.

A few years ago, I was part of another very large forum that had a good core of members who really knew their aquariums, and were extremely reliable sources of info. I was fascinated by noting that in older threads, many of the posters with the most 'likes' and the best advice were no longer active, and were listed as banned. But it was fun, until...

Then in one swoop, they banned all the good sources of info. About a dozen people got the boot, all at the same time. One was kind of annoying, one was me and the rest were all regular posters with knowledge.

A lot of FB sites want action. Forums can live from hits, for ads. There are a couple of things operating, I think. First, egos. And second, business. If I ask a question and you give me a satisfactory answer, the thread is done. But if 37 postings involving aliens, conspiracies, untested lore, legends and general awful advice appear, that's traffic.

On some posts here, I look and think "it's a good basic question but the people who are helping have this". I don't see that cultivation of mayhem and bad advice I have seen elsewhere. I do see it on the large FB groups though.

I'm so ancient I was on the Internet before photos were common, and when you had no google. It had such promise as a way to learn and communicate. but now, ignorance is a valuable commodity online. if you've actaully bothered to learn stuff and are interested in discussing and learning more, you need a thick skin.

Facebook groups foster an environment where everyone (especially the newbies) engages in whizzing contests, trying to one-up each other as to who is more of an expert on the given subject. Young people with little real life experience (herps, fish, or whatever) but lots of experience with facebook lecturing and harassing old timers, under the guise of "educating" them- with the false and inaccurate information that has been repeated so many times by other facebook newbies that they all take it as gospel. Many of the leaders of these facebook groups have big egos but thin skin. So when someone posts information that, while accurate, runs counter to the "beliefs" espoused by the group, that person is attacked by the cult followers, before being kicked from the group.
I feel sorry for any hobbyist who relies facebook for "research".

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back