Iron pill supplements, my results

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tyler_Fishman

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Root tabs can be expensive and not very convenient for me, as none of my lps sell them. I went to Walmart and checked out the medicine section, I purchased Spring Valley iron (27mg). My concern sprouted from reading my Osmocote fertilizer label (Which I use for my plants already) label, I saw no Iron and figured my plants would benefits from some extra Iron, I rubbed off the red coating, and placed it by the base of my sword and crypt plants, and Hygrophila Corymobosa. A few days later, the first thing I noticed was a rusty red brown color in My Hygrophilas. My Ozelot swords new leaves are a dark red color, and my Amazon sword's new leaves (which are usually brownish) somewhat red. My crypts however, did not do well. The downside is to that these pills they will cause an "overdose" if planted in one area. Crypt Parvas did not establish a root system yet. so the iron essential burned most of their roots. it also stains the substrate, it looks like you have a hydrogen sulfide issue. All in all I think these pills will benefit plants if use responsibly,

This is not a safe road for fish. Osmocote is also not safe, as it is geared for terrestrial plants that have different requirements. Nitrate and phosphate can increase, bad for fish, and frequent cause of algae problems.

Not all substrate fertilizer tabs are good, but Seachem's Flourish Tabs seem to be. They are not only complete, they are slow releasing, and not into the upper water column. So all issues covered. You can often find these online for considerably less than store prices.

One has to be very careful with fish. Everything getting into the water gets inside the fish by osmosis and through the gills, into the bloodstream and internal organs. The effects wilol usually be unseen, but still there, weakening the fish.

Byron.

This is not a safe road for fish. Osmocote is also not safe, as it is geared for terrestrial plants that have different requirements. Nitrate and phosphate can increase, bad for fish, and frequent cause of algae problems.

Not all substrate fertilizer tabs are good, but Seachem's Flourish Tabs seem to be. They are not only complete, they are slow releasing, and not into the upper water column. So all issues covered. You can often find these online for considerably less than store prices.

One has to be very careful with fish. Everything getting into the water gets inside the fish by osmosis and through the gills, into the bloodstream and internal organs. The effects wilol usually be unseen, but still there, weakening the fish.

Byron.
So far I have noticed no negative side effects, however I will definitely take your advice into consideration

Keep in mind osmocote comes in two varieties:

regular Osmocote has 5 macro nutrients

Osmocote plus has 5 macro plus 5 micro nutrients.

Unfortunately there are 15 nutrients plants need. When you does only some of the nutrients the plant need to get the others from theta water, if they are there. The net result is the element that are not in the fertilizer will deplete faster. This could cause deficiency. and plant growth will slow. Adding more fertilizer will just push the plant further into deficiency. Meaning the more fertilizer you add the slower your plant will grow. Opposite of what most people would expect.

Osmocote is also not safe, as it is geared for terrestrial plants that have different requirements
You are unspecific, it depends. But to exactly what you said, that isn't true.

You are unspecific, it depends. But to exactly what you said, that isn't true.

The much higher level of nitrate and phosphate in Osmocote is what I was referring to. Aquatic plants prefer their nitrogen in the form ammonia/ammonium, not nitrate. Fish do not appreciate nitrate, so there is no point in adding this beyond reason and the level in Osmocote is way beyond reason. Phosphates will be more than adequate from fish food, so there is no point in adding this. And, of course, we are talking low-tech or natural planted tanks with fish here, not high-tech.

If I took the time to dig into my files I might find there is more to this, meaning nutrients aquatic plants need but terrestrial do not or the reverse, but I don't see the need; it was the above that most concerns me.

if you over feed I presume.

Root systems

I was talking high tech, heavily planted tanks.

You really should read the posts more carefully. The issue in this thread is not about high-tech systems. Phosphates from fish foods will be more than sufficient in the sort of setup here. Phosphate levels in unpolluted natural waters are very low, between 0.003 and 0.02 mg/l P (Walstad). Phosphate from normal fish food will be higher than this in most tanks.

I don't see the words Low Tech anywhere in this thread Byron o_O
except when you said it

Ask the OP, I will bet you this is not a high-tech tank. I've seen other threads by the OP, and if you read his initiasl post this is the inference one draws.

I will bet you this is not a high-tech tank
lol Byron, you said
You really should read the posts more carefully. The issue in this thread is not about high-tech systems.
Meaning that in this thread somewhere, just somewhere, the word low tech came out of someones fingers...
I am not entitled by replying to this thread, to do a background check of the OP or commenters. This is an in general conversation and discussion. No one in this thread but you said Low tech.
you read his initiasl post this is the inference one draws.
I cant read typed and slurred words. Don't type so fast...

lol Byron, you said

Meaning that in this thread somewhere, just somewhere, the word low tech came out of someones fingers...
I am not entitled by replying to this thread, to do a background check of the OP or commenters. This is an in general conversation and discussion. No one in this thread but you said Low tech.

I cant read typed and slurred words. Don't type so fast...

Perhaps you should consider things before jumping in then. You assumed high tech.

Perhaps you should consider things before jumping in then. You assumed high tech.
Dude that comment makes no sense.... I did assume high tech, that's what I have how is that a problem before you Spoke For Everyone and said that everyone in this thread has a low tech?

Dude that comment makes no sense.... I did assume high tech, that's what I have how is that a problem before you Spoke For Everyone and said that everyone in this thread has a low tech?
It's high tech basically, deep sand bed, Co2, my DIY ferts, ehh that sorta deal. I dont see he problem with Osmocote ferts, many youtbers use them in their setups, the indoor and out door osmocote fertilizer, thats what they use, thats what I use. My tank has been running with them since about December and I've have nothing to say other than they do great
However I am getting Seachem trace elements next time I stop at the petstore, I dont want to take any more risks, I'd appreciate a more "sanitary sytem"

It's high tech basically, deep sand bed, Co2, my DIY ferts
no way, idk if I believe you tyler my man, because Byron just said hes Positive you are low tech...
Just so weird...
Hey do you have a journal? :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back