Iron does for low tech what Co2 does for high tech.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Liquinox chelated iron. NOT the other brand they sell that is a red liquid iron. Plus the red costs twice as much...what you want is the $11 a gallon liquinox in the blue container.
Interesting that I added magnesium salts to treat a fungal issue..and not only cured the fish but made the Java ferns even darker. But overall,iron is a must use if you want serious plant growth. I just use two tablespoons or so every 2-3 days for a 240 gallon tank. For most aquariums you could use less than half an eye droppers worth.
Home depot isn't carrying the Liquinox anymore, so I ordered it on Amazon and got a gallon of B1, which I think I should probably return.

That's bad news. I have about a half gallon left too. It lasts a long time. I did notice one HD didnt have it- but the other did locally. It works great,fish are fine.
I need to get to HD.no.2 and see if they have more.

What I ended up ordering on Amazon is a Liquinox Iron and Zinc supplemented. Since I grow an azalea, (most of them died), a few hydrangeas, even if not fish tank safe I can still use it. I returned the B1 supplement and they are supposed to reship the other. Can you take a pic of your label @Stan510

Last edited:
Thats it. Iron with zinc in a blue gallon bottle. Safe in small doses. Everything in moderation.

Adding extra iron only improves plant colouration if you were deficient in the first place. It by no means "does what CO2 does". The signs of iron deficiency tends to be chlorotic (pale) leaves so naturally increasing iron in a deficient tank will improve colouration. Sorry to burst your bubble but glad you've worked out where your tank was deficient.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back