The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

If she carries on with them it might be worth popping her along to the vets. Kennel cough can sound pretty similar (what you describe sounds identical to when Sky picked it up), and although there's no cure for the virus (it's just like the cold - dont worry not life threatening lol), they can get secondary infections - so the sooner it's caught the better.

Sorry if this is completely useless info and you have already had allergies diagnosed! :blush:

I would go to the vet.

They may be able to give you something for the allergies, or something for when she does do this alarming wheezing.

Wheezing is a very scary noise. I get asthma on a daily basis, but when my asthma is bad, you can hear my wheezing across the room and people get very worried.

Reverse sneezing (forceful inhalation of air) is due to irritation in the back of the nose/throat area. It can be caused by the presence of a foreign body that was inhaled up the nose, dental disease, fungal infection in the nose, nasal tumour, allergies, nasal parasites, or bacterial infection. It is important to take your dog to the vet so that they can differentiate between these causes. Your vet will ask if you have noticed any nasal discharge. They will want to know the colour and if it is from one or both nostrils. It is also important to know if your dog has been vaccinated within the past year. Tests that your veterinarian may request are bloodwork, radiographs, and maybe rhinoscopy (inserting an endoscope into the nose). The diagnosis of an allergy is often made upon exclusion of other possibilities listed above but can be treated with steroids. Steroids will cause many of these other conditions to worsen, however, that is why seeing a vet is important.

z.

Z, you are either vet or a vet nurse arnt you??

You are very knowledgable its great!

Inverted sneezing is a very common sign of Kennel Cough (which is doing the rounds at the moment). I would phone the vets for advice before taking her down as they may want you not to come in in case you infect the other dogs (if it is agreed it is Kennel Cough). Most cases of Kennel Cough don't need veterinary treatment, but supportive treatment at home. Of course if the dog is very old or very young, they may need a bit more help. Also if a secondary infection takes hold, antibios will help (although Kennel Cough alone is most often viral so antibios only help secondary infection).

My vet advised me to use Benylin Original at half the adult dose for Seth (who is a Boxer). Honey also helps, either in their water or just off a spoon. Licorice root in their water is said to help too. If the dog has dry food, it's helpful to wet it until the irritation is gone. :good:

I hope it works for you - it's helped here! :good:

Over here, the Kennel Cough vaccine is not part of the basic vaccine course, not sure what the deal is in the States. It is also like the human flu vaccine in that it only covers against one or two strains, whereas there are lots of strains of KC, which is why it sounded like that to me at the time.

If the vet has said it's allergies though, I hope you manage to work out what she's allergic to. Dharma has food allergies which can be a bit easier to work out with an exclusion diet, but sneezing isn't really a symptom of food allergies, I don't think. More of an inhalant allergy maybe?

Anyhoo, hope she's better soon! :good:

My oldest lab, Yeller, invert sneezes ALOT. For her, it's mucous in the back of the throat that can trigger it, usually after she's had a big drink.

My little lab has some seasonal allergies - they can do testing for it just like with humans, but it is very pricey. My vet recommended I keep Benedryl Original on hand, and I can give her 1 to 2 mgs per pound. She weighs 65 lbs, and the tablets are 25 mgs, so I give her two full ones plus a half when she breaks out in hives. (yes,she actually breaks out in hives! It's the funniest darn thing, and scary too!)

Whatever you do, make sure it's the original benedryl, not the one for sinus or anything else, otherwise you could actually kill your dog.

Z, you are either vet or a vet nurse arnt you??

You are very knowledgable its great!

Thanks. I originally completed a veterinary technology diploma and then decided I didn't have enough debt so I went back to school for veterinary medicine. :blink: So now I am both.

z.

The reverse sneezing isn't always associated w/ kennel cough, but can be a sign of irritation in their lungs, nasal passages or nose. My dog had it pretty bad when she had a cold. I called the vet to be sure I didn't need to bring her in- vet just said to give her a little honey when she starts "sneezing" as it'll soothe their throat. Rubbing their neck/throat in a downward motion also helps b/c it makes them swallow, thus stopping the "sneeze"

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back