Introducing Palla

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Very nice tank setup Wolf, she's definately a lucky girl. :good:

I'd like to nominate the second pic (the bonus one :fun: ) for POTM, hopefully someone will second it.

I'll second it :D

Very nice wolfy, but is that (what used to be) the exodon tank? :eek:

Very nice wolfy, but is that (what used to be) the exodon tank? :eek:
it is indeed :)

thanks for the nominations, however I shall not be putting her forward.

hey wolf... i wanna get my partner one of these!
i hate them but he deserves one there amazing can you give me an info boost on what to get for one tank sizes etc?
theres a plce by me that sells several types!....

:drool: She's beautiful!!!! :wub: I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have one of those, why does there have to be so many wonderful creatures on this earth, I barely have room for the tanks & dog I have right now without being tempted by such a beautiful spider!

I was advised by one shop that a 12x12 viv would be perfectly suitable for a Chilean rose as they do not move about much.
now that I actually own one I can see how rubbish that statement is. Palla is housed in a 24x16.5x14H and she uses every bit of it so
I would say a std 2ft aquarium (24x12x12) would be just fine.

the first thing I'd say is find out how large a viv you can have, then look for a tarantula that would be suitable for it.
things like trapdoors don't need a great deal of height, but would need at least 4 inches of substrate to make their burrow in
but if you go for a pinktoe then you need a lot of height as they are arboreal.
from what I've read arboreal tarantulas are not ideal as a starter, so it is probably best to start, like me, with a Chilean rose
or similar.
hth

i WANT ONE! there such cool things i cant belive how blue she is great pet
i heard some tarantulas can be agressive are those type of spiders agressive?

Chilean rose is probably the best starter tarantula, they are very docile and can take a lot of handling by their owners,
however, like all animals they can and do attack when a threat is perceived so should be handled with care and respect.
if the tarantula is crouching with two front legs raised, that is a sign to leave well alone.

ohh okay can palla flick hairs at people or she is one of the types that cant because i dont want to have a spider and it starts flicking hairs in my eyes

from http://www.entomology.cornell.edu/SpiderOu...Tarantulas.html

tarantulas from the New World have developed another very effective defensive behavior. When threatened, they rapidly scrape special hairs, called urticating hairs, from the back and sides of their abdomens into the eyes, nose, or lungs of their vertebrate predators........In all honesty, I've rarely experienced the urticating hairs except when handling shed moult skins.

I'm sad to announce that Palla died last week. She was such a great character and sulked every time I cleaned the viv out.
she did like to sit on my neck and bask in the heat; she shall be missed greatly.

Attached photo is the last one I took of her.

Attachments

• palla2.jpg
    palla2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 127
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that; she was a beauty.

Incidentally, I have a Goliath; the moodiest, sulkiest, most people hating pet I've ever had; can't get near her without her flicking hairs at me :rolleyes:

I love her though! And to be fair, she's very good about being herded into her margarine tub at cleaning out time :) I've had her about 12 years now.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back