Introducing New African Dwarf Frogs?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gilongamesh

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for advice. For backstory, for 7 years now, I have had 2 ADF and a zebra nerite snail living in a 5 gallon tank with no filter. I realize that I definitely should have a filter, but I was very young when I first set up the tank, and by the time I learned enough to know that they should have a filter, I was worried that adding one would mess up whatever nitrogen cycle had established itself in the substrate, and I do frequent water changes. However, very recently, one of the frogs passed away. Obviously this was very sad, but from what I've read, I think 7 years was a good lifespan. My question is: should I introduce a new frog or two into the tank? I've heard that they are very social creatures, so I worry about my remaining frog living alone, but I also worry that if I introduce new frogs, they might bring disease or they might not be adapted to life without a filter. my other option is to set up a new 10 gallon, cycle it with a good filter and then move my old frogs and some new ones in, but I worry that would be very stressful for a 7 year old frog that has lived almost it's entire life in one tank. I also think that the tank without a filter might somehow be a healthy environment, as the frogs have always seemed healthy and the snail has lived for 7 years as well, which I think is unusually long for a nerite. Thank you so much if you've read this whole paragraph, and even more if you have some advice!

Hi, I'm looking for advice. For backstory, for 7 years now, I have had 2 ADF and a zebra nerite snail living in a 5 gallon tank with no filter. I realize that I definitely should have a filter, but I was very young when I first set up the tank, and by the time I learned enough to know that they should have a filter, I was worried that adding one would mess up whatever nitrogen cycle had established itself in the substrate, and I do frequent water changes. However, very recently, one of the frogs passed away. Obviously this was very sad, but from what I've read, I think 7 years was a good lifespan. My question is: should I introduce a new frog or two into the tank? I've heard that they are very social creatures, so I worry about my remaining frog living alone, but I also worry that if I introduce new frogs, they might bring disease or they might not be adapted to life without a filter. my other option is to set up a new 10 gallon, cycle it with a good filter and then move my old frogs and some new ones in, but I worry that would be very stressful for a 7 year old frog that has lived almost it's entire life in one tank. I also think that the tank without a filter might somehow be a healthy environment, as the frogs have always seemed healthy and the snail has lived for 7 years as well, which I think is unusually long for a nerite. Thank you so much if you've read this whole paragraph, and even more if you have some advice!
Hi - I am new to fishkeeping so others will have better advice, I am sure. However, I've got 2 ADF in a 34l (7.5 gallon) tank and they hardly spend any time together! There are some tetras and a new betta in there too, and lots of rocks for the ADFs to wander through and hide under, but when they do end up together it seems more like happenstance than they've actually sniffed each other out. I read too that they are social creatures, but I've never seen any evidence of it! They seem much more curious about my betta than each other.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back