Introducing a new angel to a current one thats mate has passed away

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CraigDalton

Reaction score
Hi

I had a pair of fully grown angels but unfortunately the male passed away recently.

They were the show piece of my tank, always active and in view but since the male passed away my female is hiding alot of the day but still showing for feeding time.

I was wondering if I got another male around the same size would I be able to add them together without issues because as far as I'm aware the angles pair for life. So I'm wondering will the female accept another male in the tank since her mate is gone

Thanks

This is a very real risk. Angelfish must select their mates and bond. If any male is placed in with the female, they may bond, or they may not, which in this case will likely mean a beat-up or dead female, though it could work in reverse.

Very risky. Best to add a few so she can choose one. Cichlids are just like us, in that they’re very choosy about who they pair up with. Not all males will be compatible.

Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. The only way to know for sure is to try it. But be sure to have a backup plan in case it doesn't.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back