Intro

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Temais

Reaction score
Hello! I never thought I would be in the hobby in my life, but one of my friends recently gave me her betta as a gift and I want to give it as good a life as I can. Hoping to learn a lot and have fun!

Welcome. Post a picture of your betta. Here is mine.

Attachments

• IMG_0251.jpeg
    IMG_0251.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 17
Welcome. Post a picture of your betta. Here is mine.
Unfortunately there's nothing to see yet, my friend only gave him to me today and the pet store was closed ^^; I'm planning to go tomorrow to get a tank heater, some plants, and nicer food.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_1230.jpg
    IMG_1230.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 16
:hi:

Just for info make sure to get a tank of at least 5 gallons for a beta. Some live plants will also be good especially floaters. Of course the fish is already in something but what size?

:hi:

Just for info make sure to get a tank of at least 5 gallons for a beta. Some live plants will also be good especially floaters. Of course the fish is already in something but what size?
It's a square glass container with an open top, and there's nothing in it currently. By my guess it's about 1 gallon and I don't know if it's been cycled. Obviously I will need a bigger one (based on a cursory glance over the forum, people seem to recommend anywhere between 2 and 5 gallons for a single betta). Based on pet store recommendations I found around the forum, I have done some local research and found an aquarist who seems trustworthy. Hopefully I'll be able to get my bearings by talking to him ^^ My main concern now is that I'm moving house in about a month, so I don't know when would be the best time to transfer the fish to a properly sized tank/cycle/introduce plants/any other long term project.

It's a square glass container with an open top, and there's nothing in it currently. By my guess it's about 1 gallon and I don't know if it's been cycled. Obviously I will need a bigger one (based on a cursory glance over the forum, people seem to recommend anywhere between 2 and 5 gallons for a single betta). Based on pet store recommendations I found around the forum, I have done some local research and found an aquarist who seems trustworthy. Hopefully I'll be able to get my bearings by talking to him ^^ My main concern now is that I'm moving house in about a month, so I don't know when would be the best time to transfer the fish to a properly sized tank/cycle/introduce plants/any other long term project.
I'm not really a beta person but I believe that most here that are will recommend a minimum of 5 gallons.

If you are moving in a month it would probably be OK to keep in the current tank but, once moved, get the beastie in something larger and cycled with some floating live plants.

If any actual beta people here say different take their advice over mine. ;)

Oh, it is also important that you take advice from stores with a grain of salt especially with chain stores. They are there to make sales and often have very little actual knowledge.

Welcome to TFF... :hi:
It's already a good start to become a member of this forum now you've got a betta to take care of... For there are plenty of betta fans on this forum who are willing to help you out with all your questions...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back