Intro

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Reaction score
Playas De Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
I am new to keeping fish. My previous experience has been catching and eating them. I have 78 years experience in that. I have begun with a 20 gallon "high" tank and started with plants only, hornwort, what is called here in Mexico plantanita, and two others, names unknown (one a tiny leaved sort of clover looking but very small ground cover and the other a green on top purple underneath broadleaf). the tank substrata is small, round gravel over smaller white rock over sand. It came from Aqueon with a small outside filter and a heater and I added a thermometer and small pump and bubble stone, the stone under the gravel. After a week I put in 3 Mickey Mouse Platies and added 3 more a week later. After another week (yesterday) I added 6 pygmy corydoras (Corydoras pygmaeus). I intend to add 6 small rasboras or tetras next week at which point I think the tank will be at about 95% capacity and intend to stop and observe. I think the tank is light on plants and would like more plant "cover". I am testing the water with the API Master kit weekly, have quite hard water (tap water from the Colorado River) and fairly high pH, but neither alarming. So far everybody in the tank seems happy. And I am delighted with both groups of fish. The platies seem to have highly individual personalities and the group personality of the cories is wonderful. I am looking for any and all advice and opinions.

Hello and welcome, I'm new here too and a learner of English, excuse me the first thing I have thougth is that if you put some Donald Duck xiphos to the platies they could have a great party altogether in the tank hahaha, excuse me again but I'm really crazy and silly, there is no cure for me. Don't forget the platies could multiply beyond measure, and for your hard water with this PH the rasboras or tetras couldn't be suitable but I don't know, most of these fish should be nowadays accustomed, better 8-10 of them because they like to be in a bigger group, welcome again and greetings to you from Old Europe especially in the middle of it (madre mía que revienta ya!).

I am new to keeping fish. My previous experience has been catching and eating them. I have 78 years experience in that. I have begun with a 20 gallon "high" tank and started with plants only, hornwort, what is called here in Mexico plantanita, and two others, names unknown (one a tiny leaved sort of clover looking but very small ground cover and the other a green on top purple underneath broadleaf). the tank substrata is small, round gravel over smaller white rock over sand. It came from Aqueon with a small outside filter and a heater and I added a thermometer and small pump and bubble stone, the stone under the gravel. After a week I put in 3 Mickey Mouse Platies and added 3 more a week later. After another week (yesterday) I added 6 pygmy corydoras (Corydoras pygmaeus). I intend to add 6 small rasboras or tetras next week at which point I think the tank will be at about 95% capacity and intend to stop and observe. I think the tank is light on plants and would like more plant "cover". I am testing the water with the API Master kit weekly, have quite hard water (tap water from the Colorado River) and fairly high pH, but neither alarming. So far everybody in the tank seems happy. And I am delighted with both groups of fish. The platies seem to have highly individual personalities and the group personality of the cories is wonderful. I am looking for any and all advice and opinions.
52915A98-1BEB-45B5-9498-84CBE21BAFE7.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back