Into The Marine

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Go to lowes/home depot, ask them to cut you some appropriately sized window glass panes in the glass cutting area (I find Lowes' to be better) and silicone them in place.

TBH, sounds like you're trying to stuff too much in a small tank... Remember, a 10g isn't all that big.Were it my tank I'd have some LR, macro algae, and heaters/powerfilters all in one compartment, leading directly to a second compartment for the return pump.

Go to lowes/home depot, ask them to cut you some appropriately sized window glass panes in the glass cutting area (I find Lowes' to be better) and silicone them in place.

TBH, sounds like you're trying to stuff too much in a small tank... Remember, a 10g isn't all that big.Were it my tank I'd have some LR, macro algae, and heaters/powerfilters all in one compartment, leading directly to a second compartment for the return pump.

ya thats what i thought. the 10 gal wud be way to overstuffed.
I think im just gonna stick with LR, macro algae and the equipment in 1 chamber
and then returm pump in the 2nd chamber.

K, ill give it a shot at the DIY ... it seems easy lol.
I think ill pick up the 20 gal sometime this week, and hopefully the 10 gallon as well.

Now ... time to do more research.

Hey,

done some research .. learned alot.
anyways to clarify .... what exactly does a skimmer do??

long scientific process made easy:

Somehow, the skimmer makes bubbles, there are many ways to do this, air pump, venturi, venturi + needlewheel (like this rotating fan with spikes on it that smash bubbles up), air injection, beckett, downdraft, each way has its own pros and cons and each way will only work well if the skimmer is made to work that specific way.

Bubbles are like magnets, the bubbles attach proteins (hence the name protein skimmer) as well as amino acids, fatty acids etc

Bubbles are so full of these things they form a foamy type tower

the foam rises up a tube and spills/pops into a cup

You empty the cup when it gets full and clean the cup etc.

But there are some cons to using a skimmer, like most things, it cant tell good from bad, it will just take both, so although you are losing a lot of bad things, you may also be losing good things as well. Do your research.

K

Well i got my parents convinced enough to let me put the tank in the basement .. which means I can actually look into a 75 gallon.
I've also heard its much easier to care for a 75 gallon.

Anyways it doesnt change much ... back to research .... lol

Question:
What "exactly" is a filter feeder?
Does it just mean u dont need to feed it ... because it eats "stuff" from the filer, or tank??

filter feeders eat microscopic food that is waterbourne. Most are very hard to feed since you need to constantly dose phytoplankton which will lead to an algae outbreak. But others may not need to eat as much and could possibly survive in low phytoplankton amounts. They use their own filters to get food.

Hello again,

So for a 75 gal tank, would a 20-25 gallon sump be ok?? I would fill up only 14-15 gallons meaning 10 gallons of room incase of overflow.

And here's my plan for the sump:

Chamber (1) = Equipment including Skimmer
Chamber (2) = Chaeto and Live Sand (inverts as well)--> is Live Rock also possible to be kept here?? (will i need flow??)
Chamber (3) = Return Pump

Water enters into chamber (1)
In (1) water is skimmed (i realize i might lose some "good" stuff ... thus i put the skimmer in the beginning)
Water then flows too (2) where it goes through chaeto, inverts and Live Sand
Water then flows too (3) into the Return Pump.

Now comes the question on drilling ... how big should the holes be ... and the pipes??

Thx for all the help :good:

you should get the bulkhead first (i dont know how big but its good to drill more than 1 hole since there may be a chance a snail or something blocks the hole and say bye bye to the sump water). Once you get the bulk head,measure it, then get the apropriate drill bit. There are instructional videos on how to drill tanks, it seems very easy.

Just make sure you dont drill tempered glass.

Good thing is that i wont be doing the drilling ...
im actually going to get a pre-drilled tank.

ooohhh, well in that case ask whats the size of the hole and what bulkhead size you should use.

Here are their sizes:

( Name ) ( Description )
Bulkhead Fittings 1 ½ Schedule 40
Bulkhead Fittings ½ - 3/4 - 1 Schedule 40
Bulkhead Fittings 3/4 - 1 - 1 ½ Schedule 80 Heavy Duty - Sizes: ¾ - 1 - 1½
Bulkhead Fittings 2" Schedule 80 Heavy Duty 2"

Price ranges from $5-$20

o and btw should i go for acrylic or glass?? Its a 75 Gal long --> 72" x 18" x 13" Tall

Is about $1500 good for a 75 gal glass tank, with overflow, two holes for overflow, two bulkhead for overflow, 20 gal long acrylic sump, oak stand, and oak canopy, and shipping ??

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back