Internal to external filter

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

My tank is slightly bigger than yours so the 207 should be fine, heard compelling arguments for a few options but I've got time to decide, although at the moment I'm leaning towards the 207.

The 207 would absolutely be fine for your tank.

just remember that every type of filter has is advantages and disadvantages. So do your homework as much as possible.

I wouldnt 100% throw my support behind canister filters. It was just the particular filter I chose for my particular setup.

the 207 retails for $210cad. Thats a good chunk of change.

your decisions should always be driven you own research and ultimately your own needs.

So you're saying that the U3 sponges would fit much easier into the 307 than the 207, makes sense. I take I'd just mix the old filter media in with the new filter media that comes with the new filter so that the bacteria would colonise on them too?

I'm considering the 307 purely because it would mean not having to upgrade my external filter when I eventually move up to a bigger tank with bigger fish.
Why not stick with what you have until you upgrade? Many fish do not appreciate too much flow and many fishkeepers never upgrade , they just buy another tank ;) (I have 4).
I agree with @itiwhetu, my filters are much cleaner since I switched away from canisters because rinsing the sponges is an easy job that takes a few seconds so I do it every week with the water change. With the best will in the world cleaning canisters is a chore and does not happen nearly as often.

Why not stick with what you have until you upgrade? Many fish do not appreciate too much flow and many fishkeepers never upgrade , they just buy another tank ;) (I have 4).
I agree with @itiwhetu, my filters are much cleaner since I switched away from canisters because rinsing the sponges is an easy job that takes a few seconds so I do it every week with the water change. With the best will in the world cleaning canisters is a chore and does not happen nearly as often.

Well my concern has been that my current filter will be straining if I have 9 five banded barbs, 5 or 6 Juli Cory's and 10 lemon tetras. I was thinking about waiting until I get the third loss of fish in before switching to the external.

Unless you think my current filter would be good with that amount of fish.

The U3 will do tanks up to 150l so should handle a properly stocked 125l tank.

That stock will be about the limit for your tank, there's a bit of wiggle room, but it should be OK.

Is your tank 80cm by 35cm by 45cm? (I'm guessing a Fluval Roma 125l) It may be a bit small for the Julii, don't they need 90cm swimming space?

That filter will be fine. The fish you mention are all forest fish and the barbs and tetras don't appreciate a high flow. Cories are ok with a high flow but all of these species are better off with plenty of floating plants and plants in general. These will assist in removing ammonia from the tank anyway - so you will be fine.
Edit: Forgot to say your Julii cories are most likely corydoras trilineatus as true juliis are rare in the trade, and most sold as juliis are in fact c.trilineatus. According to seriously fish these require a 45cm tank. As they are a similar size (and look almost identical) I suspect one of the profiles needs updating. Either way they will be fine - in fact I would suggest 8 rather than 5.

Last edited:
That filter will be fine. The fish you mention are all forest fish and the barbs and tetras don't appreciate a high flow. Cories are ok with a high flow but all of these species are better off with plenty of floating plants and plants in general. These will assist in removing ammonia from the tank anyway - so you will be fine.
Edit: Forgot to say your Julii cories are most likely corydoras trilineatus as true juliis are rare in the trade, and most sold as juliis are in fact c.trilineatus. According to seriously fish these require a 45cm tank. As they are a similar size (and look almost identical) I suspect one of the profiles needs updating. Either way they will be fine - in fact I would suggest 8 rather than 5.

I don't use real plants in my tank, I mainly use silk plants. Although I do have quite a lot of them to make sure the tank has plenty of history of spaces, also managed to get my hands on some artificial floating duckweed as real duckweed grows like crazy.

Thanks for reassuring me about my filter, I was slightly worried for a bit that I would need an external once I'd fully stocked my tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back