Internal Parasites ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cocoa007

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi

My Guppies seem to have internal parasites as their faeces are white. Its not stringy, just white in color. They are definitly less active. I tried one medication that was to be mixed with food (tummy wash from lfs). Now that isnt making much different. Some of them are spitting food out. How should I treat it ? Do I completely need to change the water ?

Thanks.

What do you feed your fish?

Signs of camallanous worms are
Long stringy white waste, Clear waste.
Worms sticking out of the anus.
The fish will look thin, or bloated, sunken in belly.
Fish will sometimes swim on it's side.
Enlarged anus, red inflamed anus.
Bent spine sometimes.
Spitting food out.
Secondary bacterial infections.

You need to ask for an internal wormer that threats camallanous worms.
Also you need to back up with an internal bacteria medications afterwards.
Once the internal parasites have done there damage internally you can't save the fish. Only the rest of the tank
that are still healthy.

Oh it does look like camallanous worms. They do have long stringy white waste and sometimes clear waste. one has its spine bent too and and does look thin. its not swimming on its side yet.

I can not let this fish die. The wormer ? what is the name of the medicine ? I will ask for it at lfs but I suspect I will not find it because I have already hunted all lfs in the city looking for medicine for these symptoms. Will a human stomach dewarmer do incase I don't find any fish specific dewormer ?

Sorry I forgot that youasked for food details too.

I feed them hikari fancy guppy in general but I did feed them dried blood worms once which I suspected and havn't fed it since.

To be honest not sure on medications in your country.
Levaimsole mainly used for camallanous worms. Its a pig wormer.

Once the spine bends there nothing you can do for the fish. If it's acting normal and happy just leave it for now.
But once it goes downhill I would think about putting the fish out of it's misery.

I would introduce some frozen foods into there diet like bloodworms, brime shrimp, daphnia etc.
Also green veg.

Get you some information on camallanous worms.
Camallanus

stethoscope.jpg

Symptoms:

When the fish is stationary, deep red worms can be seen protruding from the anal pore. They are only visible when the fish is still because the worms retreat into the intestine at the fish�s slightest movement. Other signs may include an inflamed and enlarged anus. In severe infestations, the fish may become emaciated and spinal curvature may also occur.

microscope.jpg

Cause: 

The parasitic worms Camallanus Cotti and Camallanus lacustris. These small, livebearing parasitic worms attach to the intestinal walls and rectum with pinchers. The worm�s grip is so tight that any attempts to remove it forcibly will rip away tissue from the intestinal wall. The worm�s pinching causes ischemia (reduced blood flow) to that part of the intestine. In time, the tissue to that part of the intestine will die, at which time the worm will migrate to another part of the intestine. This causes perforations throughout the intestine, which allows other pathogens to gain entry. If the fish is not treated, either the parasite or bacterial will kill the fish. Camallanus infestations occur most often in livebearing fish such as Guppies and Mollies, though infection is possible in all fish. Camallanus infestations are contagious. All fish, including those not yet showing visible symptoms, as well as the aquarium, should be treated.

Rx.jpg

Treatment: 

Treat with Internal Parasite Guard, Pipzine, Disco-Worm, Trichlorfon or Fluke-Tabs as well as a medicated food to prevent a bacterial infection.

Fish Disease.Net

F

A link to camallanous worms.
http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/freshwater-conditions/camallanus-worms.aspx

Jupiter died. He was my favourite. I fasted them few days ago before starting on metronidazole. Did that fasting emaciated him and brought about his death sooner ? I am treating rest of the fish with elbandazole.

So sorry. R.I.P. Jupiter.
Canallanous worms are hard to get rid off and not all internal wormer will kill them. These medications are the best for camallanous worms.  fenbendazole, levamisole, and praziquantel.  Then you have to retreat to make sure all the worms have gone.
I used the hole in the head parasite medication metronidazole  but it didn't do much on camallanous worms.

Albendazole is human dewormer. Its in the same family as fenbandazole. My biggest regret is that I did not listen to my instincts. Few days ago when I was buying metronidazol I had a feeling that what I need is an anti-nimetod (anti helminthic) not anti bacterial like metronidazole. But I was searching all overthe  Internet and anti bacterial was what comping up everywhere. Had I paid more attention to my own instincts, Jupiter may have been alive now. God rest him. He was the sweetest of them all.

You tried your best. Once fish do have internal parasites and there to far gone it wouldn't of made any difference.

Albendazole is human dewormer. Its in the same family as fenbandazole.
OK. I don't really know to be honest. 
If you don't mind can I ask if you will post back to see how you got on with the medication and fish.

Good Luck.

I will post back in few days when I have some result to report.

thank you WILDER for your help.

I do know how you feel to loose a favourite fish. It's awful.

Good Luck.

Nothing good to report. After Jupiter's death I tried to feed fish with Albendazole with food. Fish did not eat it. I searched Internet and treated the tank with albendazole with maximum 2mg/ltr dose. after 24 hrs I changed the water at 70%. I did not repeat the treatment after that. The fish still had white faeces. Today Pino died. He wasn't eating for a week and was emaciated too. Other 2 fish are not eating but active. I will reapeat the treatment today again but I don't hope for it working.

Sorry for your loss. R.I.P.
Once fish get infested with internal parasites there not much hope. The damage has been done and even medications can be  too late.
Just hope the other survive. But I agree it's not sounding to hopeful.
Try soaking there food in garlic juice to stimulate there appetite. It also it meant to help boost there immune system.

Thank you for the update.
I wish that you are able to save the rest of the fish and it's not to late for them.

Good Luck.

Euthenized a fish today. It was getting miserable. Had to do it. Now I am miserable. I will pack the empty tank away for some time.

So sorry. I know it's hard. Been there myself.
I do think you did the right thing.

Sorry for your loss.
R.I.P.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back