Internal Parasite?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mark Z.

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

For the past year or so, I have been dealing with this problem off and on and I can't figure out what it is.

I have a small school of Congo tetras in my 48 gallon. Sometimes, one or more will have what appears to be a very small thing trailing out of its anus. I don't even know how to describe it... VERY small (1/32 of an inch maybe?1/8 centimeter?) almost clear, maybe tapering from thick to thin away from the fish. It almost looks like very very thin clear stringy poop. Not much thicker than a hair. As I said, very short. It is very difficult to see unless the fish is still.

I don't know what it is!!! I would like to treat it properly, but I don't know for sure what it is. I have been to all my local pet stores, read tons of internet topics, and even asked questions here. I have had all kinds of contradictory advice. I have not been able to find photos online.

I have treated the entire tank, have treated individual fish in a quarantine tank, treated with several different types of medication, and nothing seems to work. Tried peas, tried Epsom salt. It would probably help if I knew exactly what it is.

I've ordered several types of medication online, including praziquil, octozin and Tetra parasite guard. I THINK it is an internal parasite, but I'm not positive. Sometimes, the fish have also had reddish areas inside them (swim bladder or kidney?) and sometimes they have had their mouths open as if they couldn't close them all the way. Sometimes they have had no appetite. Not always the same time as the stringy thing, but maybe related? The two in quarantine now only exhibit the small thing from the anus.

I have tried to attach photos, but it doesn't work for me. Even if I could, you would not be able to see it; it is that small.

My next thought was to try medicated fish food, but that is $25 a can at the pet store, but I guess that is the next thing to try.

My question is this....Has anyone ever had any experience with this? Has anyone ever had this with their fish and know what it is??? I am looking for someone who knows what I am talking about and has dealt with it themselves. 

Thanks,
Mark

48 gallon planted tank. Water parameters are normal. Congo tetras, rainbow fish, dension barbs, corys, ottos, angels, keyhole ciclid, thread fin acara.

I think it's pretty common for fish to have stringy poop like that. Assuming that's all it is. What do you feed your Congo tetras regularly? What are you water parameters?

For future reference, it is best to know what you are dealing with before trying to cure your fish of something they might not have. It could be more harmful than helpful. 

I just tried to order the food, but they are out of stock! Thanks for the help, I hope they get it in soon!

Constipation may be the issue.  What food are you using?  I had fixed it buy mixing a 3% epsom salt solution and soaking pellet food in it before feeding.  2 cups water 2 tablespoons epsom salt.  I also had to add some garlic juice to get the fish to eat it.  But, it fixed my problem after a couple of feedings.  I started using Hikari pellets and things have been good since.

Are Hikari pellets small enough for tetras to eat?

I feed the fish a variety of foods. Mainly Tetra flake food and sinking shrimp pellets. Also dried brine shrimp, dried daphnia, dried blood worms, sinking pellets and vegetable flakes (forget what kind, I'm not at home.) The tetras don't eat the shrimp pellets, but they do grab the other sinking pellets. Sometimes frozen blood worms and brine shrimp.

I also feed them peas every once in a while.

The next choice then would be more expensive but should work also http://www.angelsplus.com/FlakeMedProto.htm

His suggested feeding method is very stringent but not hard to do. I am not a big fan of the start with unmedicated then switch to the medicated variety nor the immune booster part. I do mix an immune booster flake as part of my general flake mix but have never used it as a stand alone.

The key here is that the Angels Plus flake contains the desired Metro.

Thanks, I ordered the medicated food from Angels Plus.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back