Internal Cannister Filter?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

beatking

Reaction score
Does anyone here use internal cannister filters such as Fluval U series or MarineLand filters? What are the pro and cons of these filters? Do they filter on par with HOB filters? Thank you

Steve

No experience but looking at the Fluval, it looks like a decent filter but it will take up a large amount of tank space. I think I would rather do an external canister.

I have used two of the internal filters, on a 33g and a 40f,and for a few months I had the one rated for 40g on a 70g tank. They are good at moving the water around, which can be adjusted. They do good mechanical filtration. I never replaced the carbon that was in the insert, just allowed the filter to function as mechanical. I do have plants, and floating plants, which makes a difference (less "artificial filtration" is needed).

I used HOB back in the 1980;s but never since. I did not like their strong flow (I believe today they can be adjusted), and I certainly did not like the "waterfall" but I believe that too is different (?). The power went out one time when I was not home, and since I could not re-start the suction, the motor burned out. Lucky there was not a house fire. This may be another thing no longer relevant. I would not even consider HOB if I needed a new filter.

BTW, not sure "canister" applies to internal filters, just the large canisters that sit outside the tank.

I have an old fluval u1? in one of my "nano" tanks and a small pennplax in the other.
Prefer them over HOBs

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back