Internal aquarium power filter?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

beatking

Reaction score
Thoughts on this filtration for a 29 gallon planted tank. Thank you

Steve

Did you mean to post a link?

At any rate, for me personally, I would never have an internal filter, of any sort

When I look at my tanks, I want to observe my fish/critters, and plants, not bulky artificial equipment

Did you mean to post a link?

At any rate, for me personally, I would never have an internal filter, of any sort

When I look at my tanks, I want to observe my fish/critters, and plants, not bulky artificial equipment
So no to sponge filters too?

No sponge filters, either...but they ARE useful and handy, for certain situations

I have all HOB filters (4 total), plus one canister filter (with a HOB) on my 40B

Nice. But aren’t hang on back filters still somewhat obtrusive? To some degree, any filter would be seen except canister filters

Steve

Nice. But aren’t hang on back filters still somewhat obtrusive? To some degree, any filter would be seen except canister filters

Steve
All you really "see" with an HOB is the top of the filter, and the pickup tube, given that you have a proper background on the back glass....all of my tanks have painted (black) back glass, so you see none of the equipment/cords behind the glass

Very nice. May I ask, what type of paint did you use? Thank you

Steve

Thoughts on this filtration for a 29 gallon planted tank. Thank you

Steve

The filter should always be based on the needs of the fish for water movement and the "filtration" aspects. Water movement affects fish whether negatively or positively. The actual "filtration" involves mechanical to keep the water clear, and then biological/chemical to keep the water clean. These are different things.

You mention plants, so right off there is no real need for biological/chemical filtration, and it will be counter-productive if too much. You may or may not need mechanical filtration depending upon the setup. But the water movement has to always be kept in mind.

This all assumes the stocking will not be beyond what can easily be supported by the system (volume, plants, species).

The appearance of the filter is somewhat important, but not if the needs of the fish are being ignored in order to have a better visual appearance for the aquarist. My 29g tanks over the years had a dual sponge filter; they had plants including floating plants, and small fish that cannot deal with water currents.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back