Interesting tetra behavor

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Retired Viking

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
I moved some Anacharis from my 30 gallon tank to my 55 gallon tank because it had grown tall. I decided to put it all at one end of the tank like a small forest. I came back a hour or so later to see my neon and amber tetra swimming around the tank and in the Anacharis forest :fish: but my glow light tetra all grouped up at the other end of the tank. :eek:I have now been watching this for almost two hours more and they are still all grouped up there. One or two will swim to about the middle of the tank and then dart back to the school. Usually they are swimming all over the tank. They must be scared of the woods :)

Attachments

• GEDC1165.JPG
    GEDC1165.JPG
    395.7 KB · Views: 177
  • GEDC1164.JPG
    GEDC1164.JPG
    300.6 KB · Views: 211
  • GEDC1166.JPG
    GEDC1166.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 202
I moved some Anacharis from my 30 gallon tank to my 55 gallon tank because it had grown tall. I decided to put it all at one end of the tank like a small forest. I came back a hour or so later to see my neon and amber tetra swimming around the tank and in the Anacharis forest :fish: but my glow light tetra all grouped up at the other end of the tank. :eek:I have now been watching this for almost two hours more and they are still all grouped up there. One or two will swim to about the middle of the tank and then dart back to the school. Usually they are swimming all over the tank. They must be scared of the woods :)
Last week after water change and some much needed pruning my Harlequins which usually zoom all over the tank decided to camp in the back corner where I removed dense hygrophylla. Took them 2 and a half days to get back to their usual antics.

My neons do this if i move a piece of wood in the tank. They all line up like horses at the starting gate at the bottom then one by one jut out to the middle of the tank as if being dared by the others then franticly swim back to the huddled group. Funny little critters.

The two smallest/youngest glow light tetras are now a few inches from the woods just sitting there watching as the neons and embers go in and out of the woods the rest have moved a little closer. They sure are fun to watch.:fish: My tank lights went off and now only have a lamp on. My way of having a sunset for them. They seem braver as it gets darker :)

The two smallest/youngest glow light tetras are now a few inches from the woods just sitting there watching as the neons and embers go in and out of the woods the rest have moved a little closer. They sure are fun to watch.:fish: My tank lights went off and now only have a lamp on. My way of having a sunset for them. They seem braver as it gets darker :)
Sounds like you could use a Fluval light with Bluetooth control. Great for Sunrise, sunset and other settings.

Give them time. Mine love it amongst the frogbit roots.

When I put some decor in the tank my discus, angelfish and silver dollar all group up like this as well. :fish::fish:

I went to feed my tetras and the glow light are still schooled up at the far end of the tank:friends:, only the two young glow lights are swimming around near the "woods" I sat and watched for awhile and they would only get so close the dart way.:eek:

I sat and watched for awhile and they would only get so close the dart way.:eek:
If you or other people spend more time next to the fish tank, the fish will tame down more and hide less.

The tamest fish we had in the shop were in an aquarium on the counter and people were always next to it. We had discus in it for a while and they used to breed continuously even with kids touching the glass and people standing right next to them.

If you or other people spend more time next to the fish tank, the fish will tame down more and hide less.

The tamest fish we had in the shop were in an aquarium on the counter and people were always next to it. We had discus in it for a while and they used to breed continuously even with kids touching the glass and people standing right next to them.
Actually, I do not think my fish are scared of me at all it was the Anacharis "woods" and changes I made to that side of the tank. That is when they started acting like this.They always rush over to the side of the tank when I approach even when I am not feeding them. I also spend time with my granddaughter (6 months old) sitting right next to the tank watching the fish. She gets excited watching them swim around by us. Granted it is just me and my granddaughter that spend time with my fish but my wife even has said that I sometimes spend more time with my fish than her o_O

My discus always follow me when i hold something yellow. they think its their food

Do you know how to avoid anacharis grow to fast ?It's almost covered my tank now and I can't trim it without make my tank become untidy

Mine has not gotten out of control-at least not yet. It's about 2 1/2 feet tall at the tallest. I found out what I think was scaring some of my fish. :eek: The longer anacharis was waving in the current. When I "tied" it down so it didn't move so much the fish got braver.:fish:

Mine has not gotten out of control-at least not yet. It's about 2 1/2 feet tall at the tallest. I found out what I think was scaring some of my fish. :eek: The longer anacharis was waving in the current. When I "tied" it down so it didn't move so much the fish got braver.:fish:
I also have to tie it because it avoid sunbeam to reach lower plant

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back