Interesting Information Re Filters

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MermaidMel

Official Forum Weirdo Detective
Reaction score
I see a lot of threads on here about the best filter to own and mostly, people will say Eheim, although a lot of people like Tetratec and Fluval and they seem more affordable.

I've owned both Tetratec and Fluval and of the 2, found Tetratec a leaking disaster area, I do not like the way the pipes connect to the taps at all, the nuts are not secure and seems the tighter you do them up the more likely it is the pipes will pop off. With the Fluval, I love the hosing/taps but I do not like the prime function, it's very awkward to use if it's not working perfectly, it's not very ergonomic at all.

I am getting a new tank and looking into having an Eheim and came across this site information
http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/bigpics/eheiminfo.htm

It tells you which filter is best for your tank. Hope you find it useful.

Like your good self I have read many threads on this subject and come to one conclusion.

There are always going to be people that like and dislike every make and model going, I think it really is a case of buy what you can afford for the application you need and of course good maintenance and set up will serve you well.

Regards onebto.

Like your good self I have read many threads on this subject and come to one conclusion.

There are always going to be people that like and dislike every make and model going, I think it really is a case of buy what you can afford for the application you need and of course good maintenance and set up will serve you well.

Regards onebto.

I totally agree, the general consensus here is Eheim if you can afford it, Tetratec or Fluval if you can't, but I am going to try out a 2nd hand Eheim and test it out that way, it's always daunting trying a new brand. Some people rave about Fluval, others can't stand them, some people rave about Tetratec and others can't stand them, but I so far haven't heard anyone say anything bad about the Eheim. Although the FX5 seems to be very highly rated so far. There was a thread on here where people were arguing over the size filter somebody should have and I thought the web page was very helpful.

Regards onebto.

I totally agree, the general consensus here is Eheim if you can afford it, Tetratec or Fluval if you can't, but I am going to try out a 2nd hand Eheim and test it out that way, it's always daunting trying a new brand. Some people rave about Fluval, others can't stand them, some people rave about Tetratec and others can't stand them, but I so far haven't heard anyone say anything bad about the Eheim. Although the FX5 seems to be very highly rated so far. There was a thread on here where people were arguing over the size filter somebody should have and I thought the web page was very helpful.

I am upgrading my Tank about October this year and as well as using my Fluval 405 (had no trouble with it at all) I will be buying a Fluval fx5 and that decision is not on cost! I have been very impressed with the feed back from Fx5 owners :good:

As I mentioned before I think the level of maintenance is so crucial to any canister filter. Lack there off or incorrect maintenance is probably the cause of most failures of all makes.

Regards onebto.

even eheim has its cheaper models.
the eheim classics are reasonably priced, and are great filters. there isnt a lot to them. no bells and whistles. just a plain ol workhorse filter, but with eheims reliability and great build quality.

I have to say, having tried a few of the brand names for external filters, I've found the best for money and reliability are Eheim, classic series, whilst the first one I bought had issues with the impellor it was replaced without questions and now the only filters I have running are classic eheims. Not tried the newer pro series, because most reviews whilst complimentary on them, do state, that for the money, you are better off with the quieter/cheaper classics.

Fluvals, I hate the priming, always end up leaking, the tetratec, I found leaks again to be a problem, but TT are good at customer service and replace without question.

Have Used a Few externals Myself.
Fluval = Hated it, and the priming
Eheim = Liked them alot

But I have Also Used Aquajet and they have been Very Very Good and reliable.

I see a lot of threads on here about the best filter to own and mostly, people will say Eheim, although a lot of people like Tetratec and Fluval and they seem more affordable.

I've owned both Tetratec and Fluval and of the 2, found Tetratec a leaking disaster area, I do not like the way the pipes connect to the taps at all, the nuts are not secure and seems the tighter you do them up the more likely it is the pipes will pop off. With the Fluval, I love the hosing/taps but I do not like the prime function, it's very awkward to use if it's not working perfectly, it's not very ergonomic at all.

I am getting a new tank and looking into having an Eheim and came across this site information
http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/bigpics/eheiminfo.htm

It tells you which filter is best for your tank. Hope you find it useful.
Manufactuers rate their filters by the maximum produced by the pump under ideal conditions without media and things like hoses which isn'tvery helpful in the real world. Most cannisters seem to get less then 50% of their rated flow capacity when used in the real world but both these filters did better then that.
The Fluval showed a flowrate of 1991 litres per hour when full of media and connected which is about 57% of its rated pump capacity of 3500 l/ph but the Eheim did even better giving 1207 litres per hour out of its possible 1700 l/ph for a amazing 71% !

Manufactuers rate their filters by the maximum produced by the pump under ideal conditions without media and things like hoses which isn'tvery helpful in the real world. Most cannisters seem to get less then 50% of their rated flow capacity when used in the real world but both these filters did better then that.
The Fluval showed a flowrate of 1991 litres per hour when full of media and connected which is about 57% of its rated pump capacity of 3500 l/ph but the Eheim did even better giving 1207 litres per hour out of its possible 1700 l/ph for a amazing 71% !

not all manufactures do this. Eheim and Aqua one, both test with full media and furniture. even so their rates are, about 20% off what you get. but how we set up our filters is, not always the best way for the filter.
Eheim are the only one, i have found so far, that actually publish full flow and pump rates. but Eheims figures rest on using a full set of "recommended" media. so variance is inevitable.

good post Mel. I've seen this before, but never thought to post it here. :good: :good: :good:

Great replies guys, I think for the absolute novice, or those who are not that scientifically minded it is essential to read the comments of the experienced, who try and test, or research better than those who cannot/do not. All comments are appreciated by me, but I have to say I literally treasure the ones made by those who really know what they are talking about, I don't have a clue about science, maths, chemistry etc. I just trust what I read from you lot for that, and of course those who have experience all the filters but do not mention the science of things but have preferences through trying and testing, like Minx.

Regarding the Eheim canisters, if you had a 70 US Gallon tank what canister would you go for that is cost effective and easy to use?

Regarding the Eheim canisters, if you had a 70 US Gallon tank what canister would you go for that is cost effective and easy to use?

well the 2260 would be where i started. but the pro 3 2080 will do the job. it may be more cost effective to go for two pro 2 2028's second hand. or one fluval FX5. probably the best value (big) filter on the market

i would just go straight for the fx5 personally its more value for money as you can get 1 brande new off ebay for £145 delivered compaired to the eheim 2080 which is £300
i know eheim has the german engineering but its hard to justify it costing twice as much

i would just go straight for the fx5 personally its more value for money as you can get 1 brande new off ebay for £145 delivered compaired to the eheim 2080 which is £300
i know eheim has the german engineering but its hard to justify it costing twice as much

What is the measurements of an FX5, it looks massive, I have back problems and lifting is not easy for me and a canister full of water is hard work

What is the measurements of an FX5, it looks massive, I have back problems and lifting is not easy for me and a canister full of water is hard work
yes its huge you might be better getting 2 smaller ones if you have a bad back
- Height - 17" - 43 cm
- Width - 16" 40.6 cm

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back