Interesting Documentary with Regards to Keeping Wild Caught Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Crispii

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
This documentary is quite a watch and I highly recommend anyone watching it. It's a documentary that pertains to the benefits of keeping wild-caught South American fish, which shows the Piaberos, local fishermen, catching and selling fish that are from the Amazon. Our main objective is to support the Piaberos by buying WC South American fish, which in turn, helps with their business, not only in themself but to their families. For those who are interested in watching the documentary, it is called "Wild Caught: Aquarium Fish Trade of the Amazon." Hopefully, those who have watched the documentary will get an understanding of why it's important to keep wild-caught fish.

I’ve recently seen this advertised, will probably end up watching it. Thanks for the reminder

I am disappointed it is only a short clip and not the entire video. Nice to see the fish though, some of the discus and catfish were lovely.

I've met and spoken with Brazilian, Cameroonian and Guinean aquarium fishers. They are running small demand sustainable fisheries, and doing things like feeding their families and sending their kids to school with the money.
I'm sure I've met people whose stock portfolios include tropical fish farms, and they don't even know it. If my money can go to the family who get their hands wet and work hard versus the person who reaps the benefits blindly, the choice seems easy to me.

I've met and spoken with Brazilian, Cameroonian and Guinean aquarium fishers. They are running small demand sustainable fisheries, and doing things like feeding their families and sending their kids to school with the money.
I'm sure I've met people whose stock portfolios include tropical fish farms, and they don't even know it. If my money can go to the family who get their hands wet and work hard versus the person who reaps the benefits blindly, the choice seems easy to me.
The working class versus the capitalists. Wet working hands versus money grubbing hands. Seems like a very easy choice to me.

An easy choice but for many impossible. You need to either order your own fish by mail from the exporters or importers, or have an independent local store who orders from the country of origin or the fish importer like the one in Florida mentioned in the video. You will not (in my experience) find these fish at chain stores. I have been lucky in having an independent store who ordered direct imports when I lived in Victoria in the 1980's and after moving to Vancouver in the 1990's.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back