Interesting colors and debris/algae in planted tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

momsspaghett

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello. I have recently started to cycle my planted tank for about 2 and a half weeks. I have added quite a bit of plants in the tank along with Eco Complete substrate, flourish tabs and liquid flourish in the tank. The tank tends to have 6-8 hours of bright LED lighting along with a filter running after week one. The heater is not currently on. I have done 20% water changes about once or twice a week so far. I looked up that plants tend to die/turn brown in the beginnings of the cycle/planting period (since they need to elevate in the new tank) but come back. So far there is quite a bit of baby snails that came from some of the plants that are inhabiting the tank which I will keep in until they grow bigger. I plan to keep this tank fish free until a month or so or when my parameters are ready for any type of fish (I have not tested the tank yet). I want to add a Siamese algae eater to the tank when ready since they are known to being great for clean up before I add the final piece to my tank, male betta. The tank is 8 gal glass cube. Can anyone help with identifying what all of this brown stuff is in my tank? And if I should clean it out with a tooth brush? Thanks.
IMG_20200903_152805.jpg

(september 3) ^^

(september 7)
IMG_20200907_125726.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200907_125715.jpg
    IMG_20200907_125715.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_20200907_125712.jpg
    IMG_20200907_125712.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_20200907_125729.jpg
    IMG_20200907_125729.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_20200907_182615.jpg
    IMG_20200907_182615.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
:hi:
welcome to TFF. Pics would help.
Please vote in our Tank of the Month contest. Click banner at top of forums to view entries.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Can anyone help with identifying what all of this brown stuff is in my tank? And if I should clean it out with a tooth brush? Thanks.

What brown stuff...can you post a photo?

I looked up that plants tend to die/turn brown in the beginnings of the cycle/planting period (since they need to elevate in the new tank) but come back.

Needs explaining. Plants that are moved to a different environment may react with slower growth, and once new growth begins the older may die off. Other issues may be involved. You mention cycling but don't say if you added artificial ammonia--don't and this can kill the plants. The fertilizers should be OK here. The Eco-Complete may impact things.

I want to add a Siamese algae eater to the tank when ready since they are known to being great for clean up before I add the final piece to my tank, male betta. The tank is 8 gal glass cube.

SAE will not clean up. No fish does. Some will eat certain types of algae, but they have specific tastes, including the SAE. A SAE is only trouble in this set-up. They attain 6 inches, and being a shoaling fish should have a group of five (or more). Obviously not even one can manage in an 8g, so I would forget this idea.

Once your plants are showing signs of growth, you can add a male Betta and there will be no issues, cycling-related. The plants handle the ammonia.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

What brown stuff...can you post a photo?

Needs explaining. Plants that are moved to a different environment may react with slower growth, and once new growth begins the older may die off. Other issues may be involved. You mention cycling but don't say if you added artificial ammonia--don't and this can kill the plants. The fertilizers should be OK here. The Eco-Complete may impact things.

SAE will not clean up. No fish does. Some will eat certain types of algae, but they have specific tastes, including the SAE. A SAE is only trouble in this set-up. They attain 6 inches, and being a shoaling fish should have a group of five (or more). Obviously not even one can manage in an 8g, so I would forget this idea.

Once your plants are showing signs of growth, you can add a male Betta and there will be no issues, cycling-related. The plants handle the ammonia.
Thank you for your information. I appreciate it. As for not adding the SAE, would you also suggest not adding any other fish?

Thank you for your information. I appreciate it. As for not adding the SAE, would you also suggest not adding any other fish?
As in other fish specifically for consuming algae?

I noted that you don't currently have your heater switched on. Be mindful that a drastic change in temperature could affect your plants. For example if your tank is currently sat at an unheated temp of 68F and fish you decide on requires 78F. Depending on what the temp is now, it might be worth switching the heater on and getting it up to 76F

Bettas are not community fish and should be kept alone. And there are few fish which would be happy in 8 gallons. Snails make good tank mates for bettas - though some bettas do bite the antennae off mystery snails so those are best avoided. I always kept nerite snails in the same tank when I had bettas.

fishloreisajoke:
please read the Pm I sent to you.

Jut noticed there are now photos in post #1 that were not there yesterday, so a question or two. The brown patches on the leaves, does that easily come off using your fingertips? If yes, it is diatoms.

Jut noticed there are now photos in post #1 that were not there yesterday, so a question or two. The brown patches on the leaves, does that easily come off using your fingertips? If yes, it is diatoms.
Yes. All of the brown stuff has cleared up a little bit, easy to take off of the plants as well. So I have wiped off most of the brown residue from the glass and it is very clumpy and loose. My filter is on and i am planning on adding a sponge filter as well. My filter currently isn't all too bad but I am thinking of upgrading. Any suggestions to filters that work well in smaller tanks that won't disturb the betta all too much?

Attachments

• IMG_20200909_135946.jpg
    IMG_20200909_135946.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_20200909_140001.jpg
    IMG_20200909_140001.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20200909_140005.jpg
    IMG_20200909_140005.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20200909_140047.jpg
    IMG_20200909_140047.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
As in other fish specifically for consuming algae?

I noted that you don't currently have your heater switched on. Be mindful that a drastic change in temperature could affect your plants. For example if your tank is currently sat at an unheated temp of 68F and fish you decide on requires 78F. Depending on what the temp is now, it might be worth switching the heater on and getting it up to 76F
Perfect suggestion, i was just about to put on the heater, thx.

Bettas are not community fish and should be kept alone. And there are few fish which would be happy in 8 gallons. Snails make good tank mates for bettas - though some bettas do bite the antennae off mystery snails so those are best avoided. I always kept nerite snails in the same tank when I had bettas.
So the few fish are only snails? Nothing more, nothing less?
Currently there are snails in there as they were from the plants I got.

So the few fish are only snails? Nothing more, nothing less?
Currently there are snails in there as they were from the plants I got.
No, not many other fish are suitable for an eight gallon tank. It's fine for a single betta, but I wouldn't put any other fish in there, no. Maybe snails if the betta you get can tolerate them, some will completely ignore snails, others will go after them. But bettas are solitary, territorial fish, so even if you were able to find a nano fish that would be okay in eight gallons, they wouldn't be suitable to live with a betta.

An eight gallon planted tank with a gorgeous betta fish is stunning in its own right though!

My betta is in his own 30L (just under a smidge off US 8 gallons) He has a bladder snail in there that was a hijacker on a plant, but other than that I can't imagine putting anything but maybe another snail in there? I kinda feel a tinge of guilt keeping him in there and wanting to upgrade to a bigger tank for him! Are your waters suitable for shrimp? They are pretty awesome and you can get some really interesting snails too.

My betta is in his own 30L (just under a smidge off US 8 gallons) He has a bladder snail in there that was a hijacker on a plant, but other than that I can't imagine putting anything but maybe another snail in there? I kinda feel a tinge of guilt keeping him in there and wanting to upgrade to a bigger tank for him! Are your waters suitable for shrimp? They are pretty awesome and you can get some really interesting snails too.
I haven't checked my complete waters yet but I will research different shrimp and what is required for them. So far a have quite a few random snails that came from plants so I will probs just stick with them if the tank is too small for anything.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back