Interesting Behaviour

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

marnold00

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So, ive got these little cherry barbs and ive had them almost a month now. Over the past few days ive noticed theyre always right at the front of the tank. I couldn't figure it out. The temperature is constant throughout. Theres no rough currents - and where they are definitely isnt still water. I had no idea.

And then i had a thought. I turned the tv off and left the room. I poked my head around the corner and they were using the full depth of the tank. I walk up and sit on the sofa near the tank (not even next to it) and they come right to the front.

A few minutes later i walked out again but with a tv remote. Waited for them to use the whole tank again and turned on the tv. They all went to the front towards the corner facing the tv!

Their awareness is great. They give me more attention than the mrs (they must know the source of food). They dont just see a generic person. Its bizarre!

It's great isn't it. My tetras are the same, they come to the front for me but not for anyone else. They sometime hide from other people in fact. It amazes me that they seem to recognise me even though I wear different clothes, hairstyles etc. They're amazing, and much smarter than they're given credit for.

My apisto used to follow people around the room and even the cats when they walked past!

awww that's adorable!  My endlers do this to but they're not picky...they'll beg anyone for food.

I guess it means itll be easy for me to tell if they are unhappy... Theyll just stop coming to the front

It seems like it's common behaviour for livebearers.

My Neon Tetras tend to be shy except early in the morning when they the most hungry, but my Black Widow Tetras will dart around with their tank mates when they anticipate a meal is about to be served up.

My Bronze Cories are consistently indifferent to my presence, too busy scouring the substrate for food to notice whether I'm present or not

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back