Interested in SW...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The fish part is just like fresh. Some fish get along and others don't. Then you add the crabs and shrimp. And snails. Even some snails will kill each other. Then you have hitchhikers like bristle worms. And once you get to corals that's an entirely different level.
So complexity can be no more complex than freshwater if you want that kind of tank.

I just want something super basic to start out with, sort of like this, minus the corals and other fish:
03329886-F7F6-4B91-A759-F1B9F2447819.jpeg

I’m looking at my 29g right now, and I could see it has a nano SW tank.

Honestly if I were you and had a 29 gallon, I would do a pair of clowns, some type of shrimp and some type of goby, pluss alot of hermits and snails.

For Phoenix, you could do these in the 29 gallon tank.
1pr of A. ocellaris
1pr of Lysmata cleaner shrimp
1 or 2 small hermit crabs
2-4 snails
1 leather coral.
1 small species of starfish

The anemonefish will hang out in the leather coral and the Lysmata shrimp should be fine because they are cleaner shrimp. Then monitor the fish when they become adults and when they breed.

I just want something super basic to start out with, sort of like this, minus the corals and other fish:
View attachment 133204

I’m looking at my 29g right now, and I could see it has a nano SW tank.
Then you should just jump in! SW is as easy as fresh when you are just keeping fish.

Id do at least 10 hermits and 11 snails. I would get something like 5 nassarious snails and 6 astrea snails. Astrea snails are like lawnmowers and will help you get past the "ugly stage" of your tank. For hermits red legged hermits are my favorite as they eat algae and are mild mannered.

For Phoenix, you could do these in the 29 gallon tank.
1pr of A. ocellaris
1pr of Lysmata cleaner shrimp
1 or 2 small hermit crabs
2-4 snails
1 leather coral.
1 small species of starfish

The anemonefish will hang out in the leather coral and the Lysmata shrimp should be fine because they are cleaner shrimp. Then monitor the fish when they become adults and when they breed.
Does that coral need the special lights? If so, it would be a no for now.

Also, do the clowns have to be that specific species? I kind of liked the looks of some of the black and white ones at my LFS...

Then you should just jump in! SW is as easy as fresh when you are just keeping fish.
I definitely want to, trust me...

——

The only question that remains now, is: What am I going to do with the stock that’s in my 29g tank now? :blink:

I'm of a different mind on the snails. Nassarius are really the only ones I would put in. or a single fighting conch. Some snails, like turbos, are actually cold water and die off causing more problems that good. I love hermits. I recommend scarlet reef hermits if you can get them.

If you can only have one tank, you may have to either get rid of your stock through trade or gift, or wait until they die a natural death before switching over.

scarlet reef hermits
That’s a cool looking little guy! I’ll see if my LFS has them. :good:

——

If you can only have one tank, you may have to either get rid of your stock through trade or gift, or wait until they die a natural death before switching over.
Hm, that is something I didn’t think about. I’m not to keen on just sitting around, and waiting for my fish to die, so I can get a new setup. That seems kind of twisted. :/

I’m also to attached to my stock to give them away...

——

@Colin_T, I already have 10 GBFT’s and 7 false Julii’s in my 20g long. Could I add 8 Harliquen Rasbora’s and 2 neon tetras? Seems like a lot of stock, so the answer may be no.

Edit: If you didn’t know @Chad, I have the following: 5g, 10g, 20g long, and 29g.

The 5g is to small, the 10g is occupied, and I explained my thought about moving the stock over, above. ^

Does that coral need the special lights? If so, it would be a no for now.

Also, do the clowns have to be that specific species? I kind of liked the looks of some of the black and white ones at my LFS...

I definitely want to, trust me...

——

The only question that remains now, is: What am I going to do with the stock that’s in my 29g tank now? :blink:
Yes it needs light my light I use is i like 59 buck and it works well with lps and softies and I am curently trying some sps.

Yes it needs light my light I use is i like 59 buck and it works well with lps and softies and I am curently trying some sps.
Will you please provide a link for a light like that, that would fit my 29g tank?

Hm, that is something I didn’t think about. I’m not to keen on just sitting around, and waiting for my fish to die, so I can get a new setup. That seems kind of twisted. :/

I’m also to attached to my stock to give them away...
Often, most often, when a fish passes away we will buy a new one to replace it. So what I mean is that you simply don't do that. This can be a problem though if the fish are schooling or shoaling fish that can't be alone. What I've mostly done is either buy another tank, even when I didn't really have room or money, or I found someone I trusted and who was willing to take them on.

I’ll ask my parents if I can get another 29g tank, but the answer will most likely be no.

Trying to cram the HR’s and the Neon Tetras in the same tank with the GBFT would be terrible for them.

I may try to sell the GBFT’s to my LFS, because I like my HR’s better.

Maybe they would give me in store credit for them...

I’ll ask my parents if I can get another 29g tank, but the answer will most likely be no.
Good luck! It might help if you explain how different it will be than the one you have. Let us know what they say!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back