Interested in breeding... seriously this time.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
The tank on the left is the 20g long, and on the right is the 29g.

Moving the glass bloodfins to the 29g would be pretty stressful on all fish.

I think I would rather use the storage tub and put all the corys in there, rather than stress out all my fish.

Iā€™ll try to find that breeding journal. :good:
Mine breed in the main tank with 35 neon tetras swimming around. They arenā€™t shy at all. :)

Not what I said. I told you to remove the eggs with your fingernail or credit card and place them in the nursery tank. You can stick them to the side or just let them drop to the bottom. This is my 6th breeding and have always done it this way.
That was an old post.

My plan now is to move all of them over to the 20g long and then when they breed, remove the eggs and put them in my 5g.

A turkey baster or spare airline tubing to use to clean the substrate the fry are in. Seriously, it's essential kit!
I do have lost of airline tubing, so that shouldnā€™t be an issue. (I also have an air pump for the sponge filter)

Mine breed in the main tank with 35 neon tetras swimming around. They arenā€™t shy at all. :)
I donā€™t know why mine are all of a sudden. It may be because I just captured one. Or better yet, failed to capture the others. :lol:

(I really need a bigger net. The ones I have now are super small :rolleyes: )

That was an old post.

My plan now is to move all of them over to the 20g long and then when they breed, remove the eggs and put them in my 5g.

I do have lost of airline tubing, so that shouldnā€™t be an issue. (I also have an air pump for the sponge filter)
Did you try lowering the water? I had to do that the other day to catch all of my fry and move them to the grow out tank.

I donā€™t know why mine are all of a sudden. It may be because I just captured one. Or better yet, failed to capture the others. :lol:

(I really need a bigger net. The ones I have now are super small :rolleyes: )

Will any lawn fertilizer work? Wonā€™t it be toxic for the fry?
Any lawn fertiliser will work. When the culture is green soup the algae should have used all the nutrients in the fertiliser and it is safe for the fish. If you are really worried, you can use aquarium plant fertiliser.

You can also test the green water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. If there is a reading, leave it for a few more days before using the water for the fish.

-------------------
Do not syphon the fish out.

-------------------
Coryodras do not shoot out spines or barbs or anything else.
When they are attacked or stressed out, they stick the dorsal and pectoral fins out sideways. The first fin ray on these fins is hard and pointy and the fish can keep them sticking out for quite a while. This is a safety mechanism the fish have evolved to stop other fish eating them.

There was a thread on here recently with a goldfish that tried to eat a Corydoras. The catfish stuck its spines outsideways and got lodged in the goldfish's mouth. Fortunately the owner of the fish managed to get the catfish out.

Some loaches (clown loach) have small spines on the side of their head and erect these when threatened or attacked.

-------------------
If you want to catch fish out of an aquarium, get 2 nets.
Have a 5-6 inch net and a 8-12 inch net.
Put one side of the big net against the front glass and rest the bottom of the net on the substrate.
Use the second smaller net to slowly guide the fish into the big net and then lift the fish out in the big net.

-------------------
Get an adjustable heater so you can set the temperature on whatever you want it on. Most tropical fish need the water temperature on 24-30C (75-86F) for their eggs to hatch.
Baby fish grow fastest at 28C (82F).

Any lawn fertiliser will work. When the culture is green soup the algae should have used all the nutrients in the fertiliser and it is safe for the fish. If you are really worried, you can use aquarium plant fertiliser.

You can also test the green water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. If there is a reading, leave it for a few more days before using the water for the fish.

-------------------
Do not syphon the fish out.

-------------------
Coryodras do not shoot out spines or barbs or anything else.
When they are attacked or stressed out, they stick the dorsal and pectoral fins out sideways. The first fin ray on these fins is hard and pointy and the fish can keep them sticking out for quite a while. This is a safety mechanism the fish have evolved to stop other fish eating them.

There was a thread on here recently with a goldfish that tried to eat a Corydoras. The catfish stuck its spines outsideways and got lodged in the goldfish's mouth. Fortunately the owner of the fish managed to get the catfish out.

Some loaches (clown loach) have small spines on the side of their head and erect these when threatened or attacked.

-------------------
If you want to catch fish out of an aquarium, get 2 nets.
Put one side of the big net against the front glass and rest the bottom of the net on the substrate.
Use the second smaller net to slowly guide the fish into the big net and then lift the fish out in the big net.

-------------------
Get an adjustable heater so you can set the temperature on whatever you want it on. Most tropical fish need the water temperature on 24-30C (75-86F) for their eggs to hatch.
Baby fish grow fastest at 28C (82F
If my baby fish grew any faster Iā€™d have to buy a lake to keep them in. The heater I suggested to @PheonixKingZ works great for all fry but betta. I use them. They work. You have to give other members a break, @Coln_T. Others have experience too. Your way is not the only way. Your very knowledgable and I respect that. I like you but you offend people at times with your ā€œmy way or no wayā€ attitude. We lost a good member tonight because of this and I am saddened about it.

You have to give other members a break, @Coln_T. Others have experience too. Your way is not the only way. Your very knowledgable and I respect that. I like you but you offend people at times with your ā€œmy way or no wayā€ attitude. We lost a good member tonight because of this and I am saddened about it.
What did I say in my post to offend anyone?

If it's the bit about Corydoras, Byron, AbbeysDad and you could have corrected them. Obviously Byron isn't here and we all hope he is getting better, but you keep Cories and should know they don't have spines that pop out of their head.

Edited to say that a moderator wrote this bit below, not me. Next time mods, write it in your own post.
@Colin_T Sheā€™s not the one who said that. Iā€™m just so disappointed to have lost her. She is extremely knowledgable with Coryā€™s and we needed her on this forum now that Byron is not active. It is what it is, my friend. Letā€™s move on. :)

Last edited:
@Colin_T Sheā€™s not the one who said that. Iā€™m just so disappointed to have lost her. She is extremely knowledgable with Coryā€™s and we needed her on this forum now that Byron is not active. It is what it is, my friend. Letā€™s move. :)
We lost a good member tonight because of this and I am saddened about it.
Who did we loose? :(

That may be the issue. I have a small brine shrimp net and another 3 inch net. Very hard to catch them. :lol:

I was able to get 2 more out last night! Only one remains in the 29g. :hey:

Iā€™ve asked her to please reconsider. With Byron inactive, sheā€™s our ā€œgo toā€ person for corydora. Byron had taught her a lot as he had me. She had been working with him longer though. :(

Do they know each other in real life? Or just on the forum...

This little sucker is starting to annoy me. He is smart, so whenever I get close to the tank, he scurries off. I may have to set a trap... :rolleyes:

This little sucker is starting to annoy me. He is smart, so whenever I get close to the tank, he scurries off. I may have to set a trap... :rolleyes:
Have you removed any water? If you take out like 80% it makes life easier

I like your ā€œreal lifeā€ like we are all make believe. ?

Have you removed any water? If you take out like 80% it makes life easier
I have not yet. I donā€™t really want to drain it, because there are other fish in there.

Wonā€™t it ruin my plant setup also? (As sad as it may be)

I like your ā€œreal lifeā€ like we are all make believe. ?
Lol. :rofl:

I have not yet. I donā€™t really want to drain it, because there are other fish in there.

Wonā€™t it ruin my plant setup also? (As sad as it may be)

Lol. :rofl:
Leaving around 30% water in there should be fine. Just remove the anacharis and throw it back in after, it pretty much grows as a floating plant anyway

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back