Interested in breeding... seriously this time.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Ok... so I tried to sex the corys, but they all look the same to me, lol.

Any pictures between male and female that could help me?

Wow! Tons of information, thanks guys! :good:

I will try to sex my corys in both tanks today... I will try to find something to do with my ZD.

I had honestly never thought about the Pleco before. Usually Albinos are hard to find where I come from, so that may be something for the future.

Ah, ok! I guess mine are called false Julii’s? https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/corydoras-trilineatus/

Ok, that sounds like a plan. I will still need to get a heater and a sponge filter for the 5g - plants are plentiful now, so that should do.

Should I do a bare bottom or just lightly sanded tank for the fry?
Sand bottom with cories. Bare bottom has shown higher mortality rate with the fry.

Ok... so I tried to sex the corys, but they all look the same to me, lol.

Any pictures between male and female that could help me?
Drew this up for you.
20210307_180514.jpg

But if your cories are still young and not mature, you have to wait to sex them.
They become mature between 8-12 months old in my experience with them.

Awesome drawings, thank you for taking the time to do that! :good:

I don’t remember when I bought them from my LFS, so getting an age on them may prove difficult. I do however remember the trilineatus’s from my 29g were bought way before the ones in my 20g long.

Still no clue on the gender, but I’ll try to see again at feeding time.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they weren’t mature enough though. :/

General things to do before breeding any fish.

Remove all shrimp and snails from breeding tanks because they eat the eggs.
After spawning my aeneus cories, I read somewhere that neocaridina shrimp can be useful, that they will eat the fungus from fungused, spoiled eggs, and so help prevent the fungus from spreading to good eggs, while they will leave healthy eggs alone. I remember because I thought that was so awesome. I lost a lot of eggs to fungus despite checking and removing any eggs that had fungus several times per day, and I thought that next time, I might chuck a few of my cherry shrimp in there.

Will see if I can find where I read that now.

What size is the largest fish in the group and what size is the smallest

What size is the largest fish in the group and what size is the smallest
I was only able to get two measured in my 20g long, and those two came out to be 2.5 cm. (Each)

I fed in both tanks, so I’ll wait for more to come out.

Would it be helpful to get photos of them when they are all eating?

Some pretty bad photos, but here they are:
P1090190.JPG

P1090216.JPG

P1090201.JPG

P1090198.JPG

P1090177.JPG
P1090211.JPG

This one a took about 3 weeks ago:
P1090095 (2).JPG

(Those were the ones in my 20g long, I'll make a new post for the ones in my 29g)

With a group, there's a high chance that you have some males and females. The higher the group, the more likely you'll likely have males and females.
So I should put them all in the 5g for breeding?

No. Let them breed where they are and remove the eggs.
Everything everyone else has been telling me, is to move them into the 5g and then once they lay eggs, remove the adults.

Besides, if they were going to breed in the main tank, shouldn't they have already done it by now?

Why? That's like cramming a bunch of fish together in a really small aquarium. Imo, a 20 gallon long aquarium is suitable size for a breeding group. You can house the fry in a 5 gallon tank, but not the adults.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back