Integrating Neon Tetras

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dR3ws3r

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 25 gallon tank with 5 neon tetras. I purchased another 10 and put them in a quarantine tank for about a month now. I am ready to integrate them together and was wondering if there is anything I should be careful about. I know all critters have their own personalities but is there a chance that the established tetras will bully the newcomers? Is there anything I can do to make the transition as easy as possible? I imagine that the water parameters should be pretty similar, and the 25 gallon does have a lot of plants and areas to hide in, but would really like this to go as smoothly as possible.

Is there a time of day that would be better?

thanks

Last edited:
This species (Paracheirodon innesi) is generally peaceful enough that this should not pose an issue. Nothing can be guaranteed however, and it could depend upon how long the five have been alone. But you either do or don't, so do it. Chances are all will be well. Don't worry over normal species interactions, these are inevitable.

Well I put them together this morning ... the good news was the ten new fish seemed to stay in the front of the tank, seemed a little unphased by the process. About an hour later I looked and there was a lot of aggression. Lots of darting at one another. Maybe some male/female interaction, but hard to tell. Seemed like the slightly bigger older fish were bullying. I hope this will all calm down.

We often see this described as "play," and I usually suggest that to the fish it is probably a much more serious activity than how we think of "play," but without being able to talk to the fish we can only observe. I wouldn't worry.

We often see this described as "play," and I usually suggest that to the fish it is probably a much more serious activity than how we think of "play," but without being able to talk to the fish we can only observe. I wouldn't worry.
People assign human characteristics to non humans. What we think of as playing is often more serious. For example, when a house cat catches a mouse but doesn't kill it right away. That cat isn't playing. It's training. It's practicing hunting skills that it doesn't get to use very often. Same with fish. What we think of as playing is often a very serious struggle for dominance.

IMG_2479.jpeg

So things appear to be a little better today. There isn't as much chasing, and the group appears to stay together for the most part.

View attachment 303910

So things appear to be a little better today. There isn't as much chasing, and the group appears to stay together for the most part.
That's a nicely planted tank!
My neons do that chasing thing early every morning. Not sure if they're "hangry" or just playful, I've only observed this behavior in the early am as the light (on a timer) slowly brightens up the tank.

My neons do that chasing thing early every morning. Not sure if they're "hangry" or just playful, I've only observed this behavior in the early am as the light (on a timer) slowly brightens up the tank.
I see the same behavior, much more aggressive in the morning, much more communal in the evenings.

This may be related to spawning. Forest fish are known to spawn more frequently in the early morning, it is part of the dark environment they expect and which often encourages fish like neons to spawn.

This may be related to spawning. Forest fish are known to spawn more frequently in the early morning, it is part of the dark environment they expect and which often encourages fish like neons to spawn.
Well that'd be a nice surprise!

Anywho, glad to see it's natural behavior overall, OP shouldn't worry much unless he sees a constant, stressing behavior

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back