Injury on Bristlenose Pleco

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Lauren0142

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Iā€™ve recently noticed this injury/sore on my gold Bristlenose and I have no idea what it is.. I canā€™t find anything online that looks similar so Iā€™m really worried. heā€™s super shy and I barely ever get to see his belly and certainly donā€™t usually get close enough to the tank to get a picture before he shoots off.. so this is the best look I could get. I hope itā€™s good enough for some insight.. he lives in a 20 gallon heavily planted tank with gravel substrate

He is eating and swimming just fine, his whole demeanour hasnā€™t changed at all.

I did just have a small ammonia spike in my tank which Iā€™ve sorted, could it be a burn from that? the other levels are all fine including ammonia now. I also had one of my poor Amano shrimp bite the dust maybe from the spike?!

Iā€™m praying itā€™s not something like a parasite or another nasty because I currently have a dwarf gourami with a suspected ulcer/sore taking his time occupying and being treated in my quarantine tank.. itā€™s a bad time!!!!

Thank you so much for any help anyone can offer. Iā€™m still pretty new to tropical fish so still learning a lot and Iā€™d appreciate as much help and advice as possible!

Attachments

• 1A0D63FA-7952-441C-953F-300955384ECF.jpeg
    1A0D63FA-7952-441C-953F-300955384ECF.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 136
It's not a disease and not contagious.

It could be a burn or scratch. It might be clear skin and the black is part of the intestine showing through the clear skin.

Do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate. Clean the filter, then monitor the fish over the next few weeks.

It's not a disease and not contagious.

It could be a burn or scratch. It might be clear skin and the black is part of the intestine showing through the clear skin.

Do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate. Clean the filter, then monitor the fish over the next few weeks.
Thank you so much!!

Most reactions

trending

Back