Injured Pleco

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Binge

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
It looks like One of my Blue lobsters managed to get ahold of my pleco last night, He has a Fairly good size wound behind his top fin. I have been told by lfs that PimaFix is what to use if one of my fish is hurt, I tend to question thier advice at this point. I have a 1.5 gallon tank I can set up to quarentine him (air stone but no filter). It is not cycled however so there is not much in there for bacteria or for him to eat. I can add algea wafers for food though.

He shares his tank with 2 lobsters, 3 snails , 3 tetras, 4 guppys, 1 comet, 2 dalmation mollys, 4-5 ghost shrimp.

Recomendations are very welcome.

I agree; lobsters/crayfish/whatever don't belong in tanks with fish.

As for the plec; most wounds in fish heal perfectly well given a bit of time and pristine water conditions.

I am in the process of setting up a 55 gallon and Going to be getting a 10 gallon going as a seperation tank for molting ect. Once the 55 gallon is up the only thing moving with My lobsters is probably the guppys, mollys, snails, and shrimp. In 4weeks the lobsters have yet to touch any of those The pleco is one of the first attacks in over a week since I stopped adding feeder fish(learned the were more into plants and started adding Akkris for them. LFS suck for feeding info). Only added the pleco because other forums I look on about my lobsters dang near everyone puts plecos with them so I wanted to try.

As others have said already, putting lobsters in a community tank is risky. As they grow they will attack and try to eat anything that moves near them (same as they would in the wild and just because they are in a tank doesn't change their instinctive behaviour). I've also heard that if more than one lobster is kept in a tank, the largest lobster could even start munching on fellow smaller lobsters!

Not sure I'd want to risk putting fish in with them. The reason your plec was targeted first is because it's a bottom dweller, slower and an easier target!

Regards, Athena

ps - just noticed you have a Comet in your stock list - shouldn't really be in a tropical tank as they are a type of goldfish and should be in a coldwater set up.

I found out the hard way not to put lobsters in with fish. I asked my roommate at time if he would mind if I purchased a couple of fish and put them in his 60 gallon. He told me it was ok. I go out and find this store that sells the blue fresh water lobsters (craefish). I ask the guy that worked there if they would be aggressive towards other fish and he said " NOOO !!! they are fine with other fish". So home I go and drop this little guy in and within 3 weeks almost all of his fish were dead because of the craefish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back